Fragile Eggs Shells, will Ca suppliment help?

Sunnysidedown

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 13, 2014
Hi, it's been a while. Our 4 hens are healthy and fine but one of them is laying very fragile eggs that break as the hen gets out of the nest. The other 3 hens eggs are just fine, only one hen has this thin shell problem. I give them oyster shell and feed that is fortified with Ca but the problem persists for just this one hen. Not sure if this is a congenital problem or if this hen doesn't consume enough oyster shell? Is there a calcium source that I can add to their drinking water to remedy this thin shell problem? Thanks for any help.

I have read on here about giving them a crushed up tums to boost calcium, however you also don't want to overdo it. If I understand correctly, you are feeding layer feed and then offering oyster shell on the side, right?

IMO, this hen is not metabolizing Ca correctly.
Ditto Dat^^^

I have one that lays thin shells almost constantly.....
....all the other birds lay fine eggs, so diet is not the problem, IMO.

Stress could be a factor as when I had her and a couple others separated for a few days, her eggs were much better...but the problem came back after putting them back with the flock. She's number one on the cull list.

I'm having the same problem. Annie was laying well until I got two new pullets. I believe it's stress since she had no soft eggs before. She eats oyster shells etc and a dollop of plain yogurt a day. I started giving her nutria drench to see how she responds. Any other suggestions? Also her best friend Lola passed a few weeks ago She was still laying well after Lola's passing.

I'm having the same problem. Annie was laying well until I got two new pullets. I believe it's stress since she had no soft eggs before. She eats oyster shells etc and a dollop of plain yogurt a day. I started giving her nutria drench to see how she responds. Any other suggestions? Also her best friend Lola passed a few weeks ago She was still laying well after Lola's passing.
What did the other bird die of?
Before adding supplements, look at basic diet.
Read the fine print on tag sewn into bottom of feed bag.

Back
Top Bottom