Frame for a Large Tractor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ElioraImmanuel, Jun 8, 2010.

  1. ElioraImmanuel

    ElioraImmanuel Songster

    Jan 8, 2010
    I'm back to thinking about a tractor. If I have him build a large tractor say...10 x 20, give or take. What kind of frame should I be searching for to have him put it on?

    You see if we move...I want to be able to tow it down the road. I don't think DH would be tooo happy to have to dismantle and re-assemble the coop.
  2. Tomhusker

    Tomhusker Songster

    May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    For something to be able to tow down the road, I think you are looking at metal framing, welded. Not to mention the licensing and lights required.

    If you are talking about putting it on a trailer, I think most any style will work, as long as it is built well and secured well on the trailer when moving.
  3. WestKnollAmy

    WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

    Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    We built a 10x10 tractor, 6' tall. The walls can easily be unlatched to add another 10x10 to it. So far we have not put 2 together.
    As the above poster said, they can be put on trailers or even a Roll back wrecker to be moved.
    However, ours can be easily disassembled and moved completely to another location in a pick up truck. Check out my website under Housing to see how.

  4. patandchickens

    patandchickens Flock Mistress

    Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It would be a considerable engineering project to make something 10x20 that will not rack itself apart when moved.

    I would suggest, rather, building a conventional coop, perhaps 6x10 or 8x8, designed to withstand moving; then a run that breaks down into separate panels for moving.

    Good luck, have fun,

  5. Bear Foot Farm

    Bear Foot Farm Crowing

    Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    ...I want to be able to tow it down the road

    Anything over 8 ft is a "wide load" and requires special permits to haul on the road

    It would be better to build it in sections that could be taken apart to transport​
  6. Chook-A-Holic

    Chook-A-Holic Songster

    Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    A friend of mine is going through the same thing. He is moving and taking the coop/run with him. It is 12x34 total. He borrowed my dually and 40' flatbed goose-neck trailer. It took a lot of lumber to properly brace it so it could be loaded and hauled down the road. The permit cost $36.00 because it is over 102" wide. It's much, much, cheaper to buy the permit than to get caught with an oversized load on the highway. Not to mention that I wasn't going to loan my equipment to move it without him getting a permit. The ticket is written to the equipment owner not the driver. Business is business and I wasn't going to chance it.
  7. spiral_72

    spiral_72 In the Brooder

    Apr 19, 2010
    Chesnee, SC
    I'd wonder if you could use a pop up camper or some other camper frame?? The bottom frame would include wheels and axle / bearings for the move. Someone might have a trashed camper they'd be glad to get rid of cheap or free...... The worst case you'd have to buy tires.

    There's plenty of junk like that around these parts.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: