Frazzle Cochin Bantam Problems?

OneAndTwoOfFour

Chirping
Jun 4, 2018
Hello to all here! Our daughters have a bunch of bantams, many different kinds. They got them from a very popular hatchery in Iowa. Unfortunately, three of their six Frizzle Cochins are FRAZZLES, meaning they have double frizzle genes. Both parents have frizzle feathers.

We've read that this is a problem. It causes the babies to have VERY sparse, super-curly and brittle feathers. To be honest, they look sickly. They have a lot of skin showing, their feathers are very sparse and they just look about half the size of the normal Frizzles they got.

I read here from a post back in 2008 that this "frazzle" type of double frizzled frizzle causes genetic anomalies with their organs. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, where I can find more info about this? We've looked and can't seem to find anything except that one post.

Thank you all so much. My daughters and I appreciate your wisdom and efforts! :)

Amy

I've only had 2 frazzles, one we culled young after reading on this site about them, and the second we let live because I couldn't cull another. Both were bought from a breeder who should have known better. The second lived almost 2 years before dying. I don't believe he had any other internal problems, but I don't know for sure. Yours is the first I have read about such a thing. I'm not sure if you will find your answers here as someone would have to perform a neocropsy on deceased bird to know for sure, and to do it on many to have an accurate answer.

From my understanding is they are normal except for the feathering. It's hard to say if the original poster of your information was correct or not. I would think I would have read it more if it was.

Do you happen to know how your frazzle died? Was it predation or just a normal death?

I've only had 2 frazzles, one we culled young after reading on this site about them, and the second we let live because I couldn't cull another. Both were bought from a breeder who should have known better. The second lived almost 2 years before dying. I don't believe he had any other internal problems, but I don't know for sure.

Yes, as far as I know, Frazzles don't live long, mostly because of the internal organs being affected. I'll try and find more proof besides my experience and observations.

Back
Top Bottom