Freak Egg (PIC)

rhino533

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
Thailand
Today like everyday I went to collect my Hens egg. She lays one everyday at 7am. Today she had a freak egg. It was enormous. The biggest egg I have ever seen from a chicken. Does this happen often? Is it dangerous for her to have such a large egg? The egg is bigger than a duck egg. I've attached a picture. In the pic the smaller egg is her usual size and the large egg is her freak egg. I wonder if it's a double yolker. I haven't cracked it open yet because I may put it in the incubator with my next batch.

87952_img_0488.jpg

87952_img_0495.jpg

Last edited:
can you put a strong flashlight under it and see if there are two yolks?
There is a tread and video of someone who hatched a double yolk.
I think it is a sticky on the index.
thumbsup.gif

for your poor hen!

I have a hen that always lays a huge egg, she is perfectly fine! It doesn't bother her at all so yours should do just fine.
big_smile.png
One thing to remember though, make sure you give her plenty of gravel if she is a cooped hen!

One of my Barreds laid one almost as big,2 3/4". That it was going to be a double maybe even a rare triple yolk,but alas it was just a extremely big single yolker. Coupled with a regular sized egg made one huge omelette. UMMMM!

I've never had a triple yolked egg, but would like to see one some day. With 9 hens, I get a double yolked egg probably on average once a week.

Quote:
would a yolk so big hatch out a super chick? does it work that way?
would the hen (if it is) lay really big eggs?
why don't you try it and let us know.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom