Freaking bears!

Up here in the NC mountains, the black bears tend to be more interested in poultry food than in poultry. Though once an individual bear decides that poultry is a food source, it will be a force to be reckoned with! Because it's pretty hard to keep a bear out of someplace that it wants to get in.

We have had bears coming through our poultry and garden areas for over a decade, without any poultry damage, so far. The one that did have an apparent interest in eating the poultry, rather than their feed, was not able to get into their roosting area. He actually ripped off the latch holding the door closed, but then didn't try the door a second time. A little luck never hurts!

So last weekend when a young bear (~200#) showed up on the property, we were more concerned about his lack of fear of people, than we were about poultry safety. But then about 6 AM the next morning, I heard a ruckus coming from the chicken house. When I got up there, with my shotgun - armed with squirrel shot - in hand, I found a very unhappy bear that was trapped INSIDE the enclosed chicken run - bouncing from wall to wall to ceiling to WSW wall - trying to get out!

The only thing that I could figure to do, standing there in the semidark in my bathrobe, was to get him out of the chicken facilities by opening the doors to the enclosed run and the larger fenced pasture - without getting run over. And sure enough, after several more more bounces off the walls during my retreat, he found the open door and headed back out of the fenced pasture with the encouragement of a shotgun blast.

I could hardly "bear" opening the door to the roosting area to see what he had done to the chickens, but they were all sitting up on their roosts, apparently enjoying the spectacle - with the exception of one old Cochin hen that had run out into a corner of the run, where she had managed to avoid getting trampled underfoot. The bear had dragged the feeder out into the run where it was crushed and empty. But how had he gotten in, and why didn't he go back out the same way?

The pictures below answer the first question, but I am not sure about the answer to the second.

from inside (1) and outside (2,3) the roosting barn area

I agree. A lot of us don't think too clearly in times of panic, and the bear was probably even more panicked by the situation than I was.

A lot of work for "chicken feed"!

Quote:
My partner said to put fermented apples around your fence. The bear will eat them and then won't be able to get through the fence...

Originally Posted by cosbackyard
I don't know what vinegar will do except improve the bear's digestion when he mixes up a nice vinaigrette to go with HIS chicken. Besides doesn't fermented apples already contain apple cider vinegar? What's the point?

What about installing an electric fence around the perimeter so the bear will get on that before he ever gets to the coop? Then more electric fence on the coop/run. I don't know about vinegar, I'd try ammonia. Maybe even spray it around border of the coop/run. Then the chicken won't smell so good. lol What about firecrackers? Would that scare him off? Will you get in trouble for setting some off?

You must decide whether you want to raise backyard chickens or produce picnic baskets for bears. If you decide to do the former then do what my fellow beekeepers do. Erect an electric fence around your chicken yard and install the biggest fence charger that your local electric company can power. Use at least 3 ground stakes each 6 to 8 feet long and drive each in 10 feet apart. Then use a pound or two of cured bacon wrapped around the hot wires. If you are in an arid area keep the earth around the ground steaks moist. The salt in the bacon is a fine conductor of electricity. Any bear who tries to take a bite of salt cured bacon will get a very strong shock and he or she will be unwilling to run the risk of another shock. If "teaching" an animal to leave human personal property alone is cruel, then what is the DNR doing when they shoot a problem bear that has become a danger because we humans fed that bear until it become habituated to humans for food?

You must decide whether you want to raise backyard chickens or produce picnic baskets for bears.  If you decide to do the former then do what my fellow beekeepers do.  Erect an electric fence around your chicken yard and install the biggest fence charger that your local electric company can power.  Use at least 3 ground stakes each 6 to 8 feet long and drive each in 10 feet apart.  Then use a pound or two of cured bacon wrapped around the hot wires.  If you are in an arid area keep the earth around the ground steaks moist.  The salt in the bacon is a fine conductor of electricity.  Any bear who tries to take a bite of salt cured bacon will get a very strong shock and he or she will be unwilling to run the risk of another shock.  If "teaching" an animal to leave human personal property alone is cruel, then what is the DNR doing when they shoot a problem bear that has become a danger because we humans fed that bear until it become habituated to humans for food?

If I had a big predator problem that is exactly what I would do. A regular charger used for livestock would work. I have come in contact with an electric fence several times myself, they won't ignore it! It hurts BAD but no lasting damage. You will do whatever you have to do to get off of it then have some deep respect for it! lol I am going to put one up for dogs and whatever else might decide they want to bother my birds. They are pretty easy to install.

Luckily I'm not struggling with Bears... I would think the neighbors dogs would have kept the bears pushed back. Where I'm located we have lions. Recently we had a lion come through the place late at night and hassle my dog. Dogs are tasty little snacks for lions and thank goodness I have heavy, chain link kennels with chain link tops to protect my dogs. I had a lion on top of my kennels one night... my lab was freaked for a week.

The lion left the coop alone but I wouldn't be surprised to wake up one night to a big mess! Hopefully the most of the hens can make their escape and get in the trees if they come under attack and a lion has opened the coop up.

Not much that can be done to keep bears and lions away if loose dogs don't work. In the past I had a small, really mean little terrier mix that kept EVERYTHING away from the place but alas he retired and ultimately moved on to his happy hunting grounds. Haven't been able to find a suitable replacement that is brave enough, fast enough and mean enough to leave out at night.

Back
Top Bottom