Freaking myself out now

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by urbanchickymama, Apr 16, 2012.

1. urbanchickymama

urbanchickymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2012
    I got my chicks 4 days ago, they are a little over a week old I think. I wanted to change the litter in their brooder, (it's just a circle of cardboard) so I scooped them up and put them outside in the cardboard and let them peck around. They absolutely loved it!
    They couldn't have been out there longer than 15 minutes max while I swept up the litter & changed it and their water, then I put them back inside.
    Are they too little for that? Did i just condemn them? I'm freaking out that they're all going to get sick and die now. :(

2. hangartnerchix

hangartnerchix Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2011
    Relax, things will be fine! They were only out for a little bit, and now they are back in the warm brooder. You should be able to tell how they are feeling by how they are acting. Are they all huddled together with their beaks chattering? Or are they doing their normal thing? I've got three week old chicks and I've been letting them go outside, weather permitting, for increasingly longer periods of time. They really love it!

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Not a problem. They most likely enjoyed going outside.
    If they are in distress they will chirp loudly.
    Just be careful they don't get loose and lost.

Imp

4. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Chicks are fearful of anything new - well, perhaps wary is a better word for it - so while the short experience won't harm them at all, they might have been a touch 'freaked out' by the new digs.

I changed our chick waterer from a metal one to a plastic one. Wow! That was worthy of much cheeping, peeping and scattering far, far away from this new 'thing' in their coop (they were 6days old at that point). Gave 'em 10min and by then the bigger, braver chick came back to check it out. Which caused much MORE cheeping, peeping and running around - as they ALL came together anf flocked together against this 'new thing'! What a riot!

Nope, no harm done. Next time they go out, they might not wish to go back in!

5. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Week olds are fine to go outside for alittle period of time. :) It's warmer here, so when our chicks were that young, they used to stay out in the garden for perhaps half a day at a time.

6. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    I started mine outside at that age and they did great. We took daily fieldtrips outside, sometimes twice a day, as long as the weather was good. I made sure it was warm, no heavy winds and I stayed with them every moment. The loved it. I think the experience was good for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by