Freaking out about Chicago record breaking cold

How warm is it "directly" under the heat lamp as close as they can get to it? That's worth considering too.
Great point! Warmer I’m sure. The lamp is at the top of the coop. They are closest when on their roosts. Now is 5 degrees in there and they were roaming around inside and eating not as close as they could be to the heat source.

I just went out to check on my flock; it’s -9F right now, but sunny. 9/12 of my chickens are out in the covered but only partially wrapped run and the other 3 are inside roosting in the sun. I kept the pop door closed this morning because I was afraid it would be too cold, but they seem to have a different opinion! Also, I have a cozy coop heater on low, and not one chicken is near it. They’re definitely more content than I :rolleyes:

They will be perfectly fine at those temps.

My chickens don't start to look miserable until the regular temp is in the negative teens in F.

The important thing is to keep the vents open and never let them run out of feed.

Do be careful with wet feed, that can freeze on their faces and cause frostbite.

@Melky 60% humidity is high. Is that the same as your outside humidity?

My chickens don't start to look miserable until the regular temp is in the negative teens in F.

The important thing is to keep the vents open and never let them run out of feed.

Do be careful with wet feed, that can freeze on their faces and cause frostbite.

Humidity is 57% outside right now

Yes it is and sometimes its lower. If you research humidity, 60-70's is ok or lower but not higher. Ideally you shoot for as low as possible. Ventilation reduces humidity but right now my air temp is 60% humidity. You can not get below your air temp humidity.

I’m in Wisconsin and before the -20s set in I had a rooster come up with frostbite on his wattle. He’s inside now. I have turkeys in a well ventilated coop and put a heat lamp in each coop that they can get away from. As I had an old farmer tell me yesterday (a man who never ever coddles his animals. He’s very ‘old school’) - “yes- normally poultry can weather the winter cold just fine but this is far from normal”.
I say it’s the lesser of two evils to add a heat source that won’t crank the heat and moisture through the roof, so to speak. Just take the edge off. I know some on here will say I’m wrong. They say they’re fine. And that adding moisture by way of heat and adding heat and removing it will cause far worse damage. But that begs the question - what’s the bigger risk? And worst case scenario- if forced to choose, would you rather freeze to death or die of a post heater respiratory infection? Either choice sucks. But it’s a no brainer and worth the risk in my opinion to add supplemental heat. I would guess anyone who says not to isn’t in the upper Midwest today. Give them heat. I did. Every time I went in except one time- they were gathered under the lamp. And agin, have plenty of room to move away from it too. Good luck my midwestern sister or brother. Stay warm. Be safe. :hugs

I always recommend NOT using a heat lamp. use heat pads or ceramic bulbs. Unfortunately, taking it away now will be harder on the birds. I've had two close calls with fire - one the bulb shattered and shards set fire to the bedding, I caught it in time. I'll never use one for mature hens. Also make sure there roosts are flat, at least 3" wide, so they can sit on their spread out feet. Keep drafts down etc. Watch toes and combs for frost bite. They will look grey, black or frosty..

I’m at humidity in the 40s now at air temps of 4 windchill to -8 better than -18 as this am. My girls are doing fine. Had to thaw and take fresh water to them. I just put out an article for online regarding frostbite. Maybe check it out.
I have two great reviews and thanks to all on BYC for the support. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/frostbite-in-chickens.74710/

Back
Top Bottom