Freaking out, maggots in vent

Interesting they gave her a capstar. They must have given it recally, they do that for dogs and cats with flystrike. I'll remember that. I take it she tolerated it ok?

I'd like to add to BBT's post: Meat doesn't have antibiotics in it, either. Producers may use it, but they must withdraw it, and residue allowances are established. This is not so for egg-producing chickens.
Yes she took the cap star pill fine. Gave her the second dose this morning, I’m not sure how they gave it to her at the vet. She seems to be doing a little better. Still sleeping basically the whole day but pooping regularly. Not eating or drinking still but we got a full syringe of supplement down that she swallowed well and seemed to perk up a bit. I will continue to update. As of now, we have decided to forego the antibiotic because of the risks and the fact that the wound is currently not infected (confirmed by vet on phone today.) We will administer it to her if it does become infected however but as of now, she does not seem to need it

This morning while soaking her in warm water with epsom salt she started to drink a little of it on her own which was exciting. We brought her in before giving her the dewormer and supplement and I tipped her forward a tiny amount to dip her beak in the bowl of water I put in her crate and she spit up a bit of a yellowish clear liquid. We went ahead and got everything down with a syringe and she was swallowing it fine. I don’t know how to feel her crop but I massaged her neck (?) by petting it basically like the vet showed us to make sure everything was going down. She seems more alert and a little stronger today and the wound is looking good, no more maggots seen since Saturday at the vet. I guess the spit up could be related to her not digesting fast?

This morning while soaking her in warm water with epsom salt she started to drink a little of it on her own which was exciting. We brought her in before giving her the dewormer and supplement and I tipped her forward a tiny amount to dip her beak in the bowl of water I put in her crate and she spit up a bit of a yellowish clear liquid. We went ahead and got everything down with a syringe and she was swallowing it fine. I don’t know how to feel her crop but I massaged her neck (?) by petting it basically like the vet showed us to make sure everything was going down. She seems more alert and a little stronger today and the wound is looking good, no more maggots seen since Saturday at the vet. I guess the spit up could be related to her not digesting fast?
If she drank the epsom salt water that could have been the reason of her spit up. So happy she is doing better! :)

Is she pooping?
Brown liquid coming up sounds like her crop is not functioning like it should. A small amount of epsom salts bath water shouldn't have caused that, it might cause loose stools.
I would check the crop first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks, the crop should be empty or flat. The crop is essentially a pouch that holds food/liquid from there it moves into the the proventriculus (stomach) and on it goes to be processed. Anyway, there are a number of reasons why a crop can be slow/not move - blockage, infection/inflammation, reproductive issues, etc. I would try to keep her hydrated, see if you can get things moving. Once she has fluids, I would give a wet mash.
If the crop still has food/water in it in the morning, then read the article below and let us know.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

upload_2019-6-17_12-6-37.png

Is she pooping?
Brown liquid coming up sounds like her crop is not functioning like it should. A small amount of epsom salts bath water shouldn't have caused that, it might cause loose stools.
I would check the crop first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks, the crop should be empty or flat. The crop is essentially a pouch that holds food/liquid from there it moves into the the proventriculus (stomach) and on it goes to be processed. Anyway, there are a number of reasons why a crop can be slow/not move - blockage, infection/inflammation, reproductive issues, etc. I would try to keep her hydrated, see if you can get things moving. Once she has fluids, I would give a wet mash.
If the crop still has food/water in it in the morning, then read the article below and let us know.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

View attachment 1816127
Yes, she is pooping regularly. It’s watery diarrhea but normal colored with urates and has much less of a smell to it than it did Friday and Saturday. Thank you for the diagram! Hers was flat this morning before giving her the supplement. It was a very light yellow and wasn’t much when she did spit it up. I will continue to keep an eye on her crop though. It seems though that she’s been digesting everything else we’ve been giving her. I did put a wet mash in her crate with her but not sure if she’ll eat it on her own.

Yes, she is pooping regularly. It’s watery diarrhea but normal colored with urates and has much less of a smell to it than it did Friday and Saturday. Thank you for the diagram! Hers was flat this morning before giving her the supplement. It was a very light yellow and wasn’t much when she did spit it up. I will continue to keep an eye on her crop though. It seems though that she’s been digesting everything else we’ve been giving her. I did put a wet mash in her crate with her but not sure if she’ll eat it on her own.
It's good that the crop was flat this morning! I hope it stays that way, but it's always a good idea to monitor it since she is not well.

Back
Top Bottom