Freaking out over chicken noise - Help!

fluffhead

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 5, 2007
Berkeley, CA
Hi guys, I am so anxious and upset at the moment, I really need a bit of advice.

I have only two hens, but I live in a fairly dense residential area. Ever since my Ameraucana started laying about 3 months ago, she has been ba-KAWing every fourth day or so at about 6AM. she only goes off for about 20 seconds or so, but I think she is waking up many of my neighbors. I was hoping that she would quiet down as she got used to laying, but she is still keeping up this same pattern.

I think I just overheard two neighbors discussing how the chicken was waking them up and they were going to talk to me (I heard them from over the fence).

I really didn't think it was that bothersome (20 seconds every 4 days isn't really that much in my mind) but I think some neighbors are being disturbed.

I love my chickens so much that I am just totally distraught. I would like to not have to give them away.

My chickens currently live in a tractor with an enclosed run - do you think if I bought a solid wooden coop that blocked the morning light a bit better, that this would help? Or maybe at least contain the noise a bit better?

Ugh, I just want to cry.

Thank you so much for responding.

It's unfortunately very sad that this is even an issue. It shows just how foolish, spoiled or whatever other word you want to use to describe the distance we have placed between ourselves and nature and agriculture in this country. There is no way that you can tell me that two hens make enough noise to seriously bother anyone. The situation is unusual to the average American, makes an easy target, and our local governments back up the complainers, unfortunately. It's also fun for petty people to "run the chickens out of town", when the law is on their side. I agree that you are at least lucky that they are considering talking to you first. It probably wasn't a coincidence that you "overheard" that conversation. In many places in Europe, they have a much more sensible outlook, and in neighborhood situations where you wouldn't dream of it here, people there keep all sorts of small, and even not so small livestock. Of course a big difference too, is that most people there are more considerate, and take more pride in their property, and wouldn't think of letting it turn into the dumps that many here think is acceptable with livestock.
With a garage, it wouldn't be that difficult to set up an inside evening area, with an attached outside run. There are automatic opening and closing doors available that can be set to work on a timer. The hens normally will go in for the night to roost. You can set it to close after dark. Then set it to open well after the neighbors wake in the morning. Problem solved, unless the real reason is that they just want the excitement of chasing the chickens out. In that case, nothing you do will matter. Good luck.

Hi ya'll,

I just wanted to give you an update since so many of you were so kind and concerned.

Yesterday, in lieu of working on my thesis (sigh), i turned my chicken tractor into a solid coop. It used to look like a standard a-frame little tractor, 75% wire mesh with a solid wood portion at the other end for roosting/nesting. I screwed 1/2" plywood to the mesh portions, first lining it with short-nap closed-loop office carpet. I also caulked shut every other gap such as where the handles come through for moving the tractor. I also weather-stripped the doors. So, the coop is essentially light-locked, and if they do make noise, it is muffled.

My girls usually get busy around 6AM; this morning, there was not a peep until I opened the tractor myself at 8:30 (and I think it would have been quiet even longer, I just couldn't bring myself to leave them shut in there longer). It is about 9AM now and it is still very quiet as they are slowly getting warmed up.

I think this may work.

I really hope it does; I have been so distraught over this. Last week, I had to euthanize my beloved house rabbit of 9 years, and I think the stress from that sort of transferred over to this - the thought of losing my other pets just made me feel so terrible.

Thanks again to everyone.

Well, I am happy to say that it has been 5 days and this project was a total success. The girls don't make a peep until I open the coop. They are dead asleep when I open it up.

My neighbor on the other side called me yesterday, saying she wanted to talk to me about the chickens. I stammered out the long story about how I had covered the open sides of the tractor and I'm so sorry about the noise and on and on and she says, "Oh, okay, I was just worried about them since I hadn't heard them in a while and I enjoy the noise."
lol.png
I ran right over and gave her all my eggs.

I have been very worried about an issue like this with my neighbors directly next door. The complain about everything!

I called my township this morning and they said I am zoned ag so I can have anything I want. So the lady must have thought I was crazy because I then asked her tons of questions to verify I heard her correctly.

Conversation went like this: "What about roosters?" "That's fine mam." "I can have as many chickens as I want?" "Yes mam." "What about property lines?" "5 to ten feet mam." "So if they complain about my chickens I will be ok?" "Yes mam."

So I am already prepared for the complaints and I will tell them to shove it as politely as I can and maybe THROW an egg at them !
lau.gif

A postcard sent! What a coward! At least address you in person! What I have learned from my neighbors is that some people are never satisfied no matter what you do. In my opinion you can only be nice with these unreasonable people for so long until you then have to tell them to plow sand! Just my humble opinion!
fl.gif

Do any of your neighbors mow their laws with a power mower? If you complained about that noise, would they throw away their mowers and use a push mower instead? If not, maybe you shouldn't be giving away chickens you love just because some of your neighbors have a problem with occasional chicken noise.

My daughter is on the autistic spectrum and has strong sound sensitivities, particularly to the sound of chain saws and similar power tools. But it would never occur to me to complain to our neighbors about using chain saws and weed whackers because to me that would be an unreasonable intrusion upon their use of their own property. So I got my daughter some good earplugs.

Being a good neighbor is a two way street, and it seems to me you have some neighbors who are trying to make it a one way street running in their direction only.

I know your situation is at least 4 years behind you, but I'm investigating the possibilities of having backyard chickens and have really enjoyed reading about this journey you had living in a residential area with noisy chickens and how you remedied your problem.

I am curious to know how things have gone with your chickens in these past 4 years and how keeping them in "darkness" has continued to work.

Our subdivision has restrictions and does not allow chickens, though we live in the county (which does not restrict them). So, I'm researching as to whether or not it would be worth it for us to go to our Homeowners Assoc and ask for them to make exceptions for laying hens. I would love for my kids to be able to participate in 4-H projects raising chicks and us being able to have our own eggs--we have 4 growing kids and we eat a lot of eggs!

My husband is convinced there is no way to keep hens quiet, but your post and story makes me think otherwise...

I'm so excited I found this website on Pinterest! I'm going to really learn a lot!
I would definitely inquire before taking on any birds, nothing worse than growing attached, laying out funds for something you could be forced to remove.
old.gif

At least your neighbours are discussing talking to you, not just going straight to the town...
somad.gif

An enclosed coop would help some.

If you could bring her inside someplace safe until after she's laid her egg, that would help too.
good luck.

I think it is a good idea to block of more light.
My girls started making more noise when we introduced more chickens.
I would go out there and tell them to be quiet, literally. It worked. (don't ask me why, I can only guess that it was a dominance thing) If you pick them up, it will stop them mid-bwack also.
I can sympathize with your situation though, I am in a dense area also, and I don't like even talking about chickens outdoors, even though they are legal.

Yes, I find that even going back there shuts her up very quickly.. I've literally been sprinting out of my back door in my underwear with a handful of tortilla chips. But I can't even get out there fast enough, because it's over so fast. It's such a brief occurance, but it's just SO LOUD. SO SO LOUD.

Does anyone live near Berkeley who wants two beautiful wonderful friendly hens?
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom