FREE - Black Bantam Orpington Cockerels - Can Ship

aarronh

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Meadville, PA
I have two of these bantam orpington cockerels that I do not wish to keep over winter, so am offering them for the cost of shipping (or may possibly be able to send them to the Ohio Nationals with a friend). These two cockerels have some gold in the hackles, but the parent birds are gorgeous with no leakage (photo below of parents). The parent stock came from a well known breeder. I'm not quite sure why these developed gold in the hackles, but I'm sure they could throw nice offspring knowing their lineage. I figured I would offer them on here prior to culling them. Any questions - ask!
smile.png

THE DISCLAIMER: Will ship within the United States ONLY. Can NOT ship to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Ohio or Virginia. Must be over 18 to bid! Shipping is actual cost estimated by zip code plus $5 for a used box. Please PM me with your zip code and I can estimate shipping charges for you. Payment via PayPal due within 24 hours of auction end to [email protected] so that I can get these out as soon as possible. I will only ship lives on Mondays or Tuesdays. Once you bid on these birds, they are yours. I will not accept returns due to bio-security reasons. Please understand this before bidding.

cockerel 1:

DSCN5822.jpg
DSCN5823.jpg
DSCN5821.jpg

Cockerel 2:

DSCN5818.jpg
DSCN5815.jpg
DSCN5817.jpg

Parent Birds:

DSCN5837.jpg

Last edited:
I agree! But due to recent health issues, I just need to simplify my chores for the coming winter, so I'm trying to part with everything I "can't live without".... I have a nice group of blacks and blues growing out so it won't kill me to let these two go
smile.png

Quote:

Makes one wonder what is hiding in their gene pool. My guess is someone used a Buff Orp to improve type. We had a Black hen jump a fence this summer and had a romantic interlude with a Buff Orp male. We hatched two chicks, a pullet and a cockerel. I sold the pullet for $5 at our county fair. Cockerel was headed to the kitchen. But a friend in Texas told me how valuable these two birds are. I am getting the pullet back. Our large fowl Blacks are from Cecil Moore and our Buffs are from the Britt, Bacon, Clevenger lines that were at Superior Farms. We are advised that within two generations, with careful culling, we will have the Cecil Moore bloodline in our Buff Orps.

These cockerels you have listed seem to have good Orp type. With careful culling, these would be a great addition to any breeding program. If we needed a cockerel I would grab them. But we ahve more than we need now!

Hey Jim - Seems we always have enough cockerels! I have about 6 pullets and 3 cockerels... which I could hang on to these, I just wanted to free up some space for winter. I got the parent birds from Dick Horstman - I bought his breeding quad early this spring, and he kept the offspring he had hatched from them... I want to say they could be superior farms stock as I know he got a lot of birds from there at sell-out, but I cannot remember exactly from our conversation what the lineage was... I guess I'll have to do playing with breeding and switch out roos, etc to find the culprit of the "red feather"... Although, the combination I have throws beautiful pullets, and the majority of the cockerels turn out clear black (I already gave two pair of solid blacks to a friend). I acquired two splash cockerels this year at the local fair to try and breed some lighter blues, but they've got red developing in the hackles too... so now I'm hesitant.... think that's a problem? Or, should I try it?

Quote:

Test breed and cull heavy!

Another thought: I enjoy a good bowl of Buff Orpington Bantam Dumplins! Not very often, but they are tasty.

We also have some of Dick's Blue Orp bantams and have never received anything red out of them. Check with Danny Padgett or Rev. Roland Romig on the lines at Superior. They both had a hand in Superior. It is possible someone jumped a fence there. Security was a bit lax. These do have good type.

Back
Top Bottom