Free brooders!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bil, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    We were at Costco the other night and I was waiting for my wife back by the potatoes. One of the workers there was unloading bags of potatoes from a large cardboard box. It was the size of a pallet and had sides that were about 30"-36" tall. It was very sturdy. I asked the woman what they did with the extras. She said they crush a number of them a day, and if I wanted she would be more than happy to save me some. I was thinking this would make a great brooder. Cover the bottom with some shavings and I could keep 25 chicks easily in here.

Just thought I would share (someone probably has shared this before, if so, sorry!)

Bil

2. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    That sounds cool, but I think a lot of people here will warn you about using a heat lamp in a cardboard box. Fires have been started this way in the past, so if you are going to do it, just be very careful?

3. DonnaBelle

DonnaBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    McIntosh County, OK
    I was at Sears and they had a chest type freezer shipping cardboard box that headed for the trash. It had high sides, which I liked, and I cut flaps in the sides and the ends so I could reach into it. Hung the heat light from the ceiling of the garage, hooked onto the garage door opener, and plugged it into the garage door opener plug in. Easy, easy, easy.
    The freezer box top fitted nicely over the bottom, making the box double insulated from the cold concrete floor. Of course, put pine shaving in, with several layers of cheap paper towels.
    I had 50 RIR chicks in there for about 8 days, then put them in a bigger area made from 18" wide adjustable aluminum flashing. Again, put a big tarp down first, then newspapers for insulation, and pine chips on top of that. The little ones are 2 weeks old today!!! I'm in Oklahoma with wacko weather, hot one day, cold the next, so they won't be going to the chicken house outside for a few more days. DH built it for me this winter, it is 12x24, divided in two sections, 3 grown RIR hens and a Big Rooster are on one side, with their own area, little kids will be next door soon.

Anyway, check with Sears for nice big boxes that can be made into brooders for free!!!!

Donnabelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by