free choice all day for ducks and geese.

My geese have a filled bowl at all times, mainly because I have a biggish flock and it gives them all a chance to get their fill without anyone missing out.
Mind you leaving food out after dark will attract rats which can invite disease.

My ducks were always fed once a day and once they were done with the bowl that was it because ducks are notoriously messy eaters. I also never fed the geese and ducks together because A. the geese wouldn’t allow the ducks near their bowl, and B. Because the ducks are so messy I don’t want them getting god knows what into the goose feed if they did get into it.

My geese have a filled bowl at all times, mainly because I have a biggish flock and it gives them all a chance to get their fill without anyone missing out.
Mind you leaving food out after dark will attract rats which can invite disease.

My ducks were always fed once a day and once they were done with the bowl that was it because ducks are notoriously messy eaters. I also never fed the geese and ducks together because A. the geese wouldn’t allow the ducks near their bowl, and B. Because the ducks are so messy I don’t want them getting god knows what into the goose feed if they did get into it.
thank you for answering, I only feed 1 x a day with multiple , throw out some treat here and there,. I always wonder if I am starving them as they seem to always seem hungry

They could be going without getting fed like that, and some can easily get bullied and end up not eating. The best way to tell if they’re underweight is y weighing them and by feeling the keel. If their keel feels like it sticks out sharply from their body they’re too thin.

I feed mine twice a day because I have a pekin who will pig out on food if I left too much out. I find my ducks go in waves on how much they eat. I try and feed enough out so they still have some left at the end of the day. If they are eating everything, I feed them a bit more. Mine free range, so sometimes there is more to eat in their area.

All the bowls get filled up and spaced out after some free range time and then they get a snack before bed. They’re set on a routine that signals ‘hey it’s gonna be time for bed’ and let’s them know to start moving towards their coops.

In the winter I’ll add a mid-day refill to their schedule, they seem to move around a lot more (less nap time), so they’re probably burning more calories

Back
Top Bottom