Free choice feed or rationed?

There are so many contradicting opinions. I like the idea of this feeder, to save feed. The option of filling a 5 gal bucket with feed and not having to worry about it for a while is nice. But many have said not to leave feed available all the time due to it attracting mice and rats. I'm 90% sure we are going to be feeding inside the coop, as it is going to be much more secure than the run, at least in the beginning. But there have been those that said that is not a good idea... that I'll end up with rodents inside the coop. So I don't know. Too many variables. :/

I'd suggest going with what you think will work best for you. If it doesn't work out as well as you'd hoped, then try another approach.

All the best
CT

Yes, it is. If your coop is predator/pest proof you could feed them in there. If you think they are eAting too much you could ration

I've seen chickens go after mice and then eat them. So not sure about a rodent problem in the coop. We keep ours in the coop, free choice with no problems.

Well the coop is going to be very secure. And that's what I was planning on doing.. feeding them in there... but I got some 'talking to' over that choice. That I'd be inviting vermin into the coop. Rats mainly. I don't know the extent to which rats are capable of going to get into a secure wooden coop.

I keep the feeder out in the covered run. It's a typical store-bought, galvanized steel feeder. The birds do spill some on the ground but they'll still eat it. No predator/pest issues.

Back
Top Bottom