Free Ducks - Dallas Area

They aren't domesticated, but they've made themselves at home. They are muscovy ducks. I'll see if I can get some photos. Thanks for the link to the state thread.

You can't sell wild ducks! It is against the law and cruel. You can't keep a wild animal in a cage! Sorry for harshness, but what you are suggesting wrong. @Duck mommy 2019
They aren't domesticated, but they've made themselves at home. They are muscovy ducks. I'll see if I can get some photos. Thanks for the link to the state thread.

Since Muscovies are not really native to the U.S, there is some leniency as far as what you can do with them. For example, in the state of Florida, the Muscovy is actually considered a pest by many folks. Texas is a little different as the ducks are closer to their native range, but in most counties, they're not protected and can be killed/caught whatever.

From my understanding, the only counties in the state of Texas where they are protected are Hidalgo, Starr, or Zapata County. (Most of the counites being close to the Mexico border/near the duck's native region)

"(a) Control of muscovy ducks. Anywhere in the contiguous United States except in Hidalgo, Starr, and Zapata Counties in Texas, and in Alaska, Hawaii, and U.S. territories and possessions, landowners and Federal, State, Tribal, and local wildlife management agencies, and their tenants, employees, or agents may, without a Federal permit, remove or destroy muscovy ducks (Cairina moschata) (including hybrids of muscovy ducks), or their nests, or eggs at any time when found. Any authorized person may temporarily possess, transport, and dispose of muscovy ducks taken under this order"

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...isions-to-the-waterfowl-permit-exceptions-and

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/nation-world/national/article237266544.html

“If the duck is not destroyed (killed), it must be transported to Hidalgo, Starr, or Zapata County. These three counties are the only counties in Texas and the United States where the .duck may not be destroyed and can be released.”

The laws might vary in your county, so it would be best to talk to your city council and ask what their rules are first.

Best of luck dealing with them.

This is correct. I thought that giving them a new home would be the kind thing to do vs. destroying them. I had not seen the bit about needing to move them to those three counties, so thanks for including that link.

Since Muscovies are not really native to the U.S, there is some leniency as far as what you can do with them. For example, in the state of Florida, the Muscovy is actually considered a pest by many folks. Texas is a little different as the ducks are closer to their native range, but in most counties, they're not protected and can be killed/caught whatever.

From my understanding, the only counties in the state of Texas where they are protected are Hidalgo, Starr, or Zapata County. (Most of the counites being close to the Mexico border/near the duck's native region)

"(a) Control of muscovy ducks. Anywhere in the contiguous United States except in Hidalgo, Starr, and Zapata Counties in Texas, and in Alaska, Hawaii, and U.S. territories and possessions, landowners and Federal, State, Tribal, and local wildlife management agencies, and their tenants, employees, or agents may, without a Federal permit, remove or destroy muscovy ducks (Cairina moschata) (including hybrids of muscovy ducks), or their nests, or eggs at any time when found. Any authorized person may temporarily possess, transport, and dispose of muscovy ducks taken under this order"

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...isions-to-the-waterfowl-permit-exceptions-and

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/nation-world/national/article237266544.html

“If the duck is not destroyed (killed), it must be transported to Hidalgo, Starr, or Zapata County. These three counties are the only counties in Texas and the United States where the .duck may not be destroyed and can be released.”

The laws might vary in your county, so it would be best to talk to your city council and ask what their rules are first.

Best of luck dealing with them.

Back
Top Bottom