1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Free Eggs!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickemee, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Chickemee

Chickemee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    I got 2 free eggs from the feed store today. I asked for fertilized eggs so she went outside, went to the chicken coops handed me to eggs and said she wasnt sure if they were fertle but i could have them. I put them my incubator a little while ago but are they already dead because when she gave them to me they were already cold?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  2. davecash

davecash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    that sucks

3. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    The short version:

Chicks do not start to develop until incubation is started.

The longer an egg sits before incubating the less chance of a chick forming.
    If the eggs are less than a week old, you have a better chance of hatching chicks than eggs that are 2 weeks old.

Jean

4. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Actually storage for eggs before incubation means they should be fairly cool. I have heard of eggs being refrigerated and still hatching so give it a try.

Good luck

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Rafter is right and so is the last poster...I have given refrig. eggs to someone that were over a week old and they had a hatch, what you do is let those warm to room temps before putting them in the bator........Just because your eggs are cold does not mean they are dead...you need to wait 7 days and candle to see if they are developing....Your eggs were from the coop so of course they will be cooled off if not just layed...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  6. Chickemee

Chickemee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    THank you everyone. [​IMG]

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Optimum temp is 50*, for storing fertile eggs. The range is 40-60. That's cool. A little cool down, like when going home from the feed store shouldnt hurt. If they are fertile, Im betting they hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by