Bkrog

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2023
So I have 3 eggs that are about to hatch today. They were under a broody hen, but she got sick so I had to withdraw them from her & put them in an incubator.

Here’s my dilemma, I was given a bad batch of eggs that infested my incubator with mites a few weeks ago. I took it apart throughly cleaned it and sprayed with permethrin, I let it sit in the cold (it’s been in the 30’s at night. Before starting it I thoroughly cleaned it and took it apart sprayed with permethrin again and let it sit for awhile to make sure I didn’t see any crawling around, put the eggs in and when I went to check on the eggs I saw one single mite on an egg which I opened and killed it.

What do I do if they get mites? I’ve treated older birds in the past, but for newborn chicks what is safe for them? I don’t want to expose them to a sick mama, but now I’m terrified they’re going to get mites.

(Also Mama hen is already isolated from the rest of the flock since she was sitting on eggs, so no need to worry there)

Completely clean out your coop and dust everything with poultry dust. All new bedding and litter.
Permethrine is safe for chicks in the appropriate use.

Completely clean out your coop and dust everything with poultry dust. All new bedding and litter.
Permethrine is safe for chicks in the appropriate use.
Wasn’t the coop that had mites, it was the incubator. The eggs that had them were purchased & were not from my own. Everything is clean in my coop literally just cleaned it two days ago. The concern is for the chicks about to hatch in the incubator. As I stated I throughly cleaned the incubator mutiple times and today found a single mite on an egg inside. My concern is if the new hatchlings get mites, how do I treat them. What is is safe, which application and how much?

Wasn’t the coop that had mites, it was the incubator. The eggs that had them were purchased & were not from my own. Everything is clean in my coop literally just cleaned it two days ago. The concern is for the chicks about to hatch in the incubator. As I stated I throughly cleaned the incubator mutiple times and today found a single mite on an egg inside. My concern is if the new hatchlings get mites, how do I treat them. What is is safe, which application and how much?
I would just monitor the mite situation in your incubator, I would use any more products in it. There's a decent possibility that the mites have been cross contaminated into your birds, just monitor for now.

I would just monitor the mite situation in your incubator, I would use any more products in it. There's a decent possibility that the mites have been cross contaminated into your birds, just monitor for now.
And if the newly hatched chicks end up with mites what how do I treat. Would rather have it prepared on hand than be stuck wondering.

And if the newly hatched chicks end up with mites what how do I treat. Would rather have it prepared on hand than be stuck wondering.
Any updates? We just adopted two orphaned chicks that are three days old and when I was holding them, I had a few mites on me. We have food grade DE.

Back
Top Bottom