Free free range chicks

If they're in your yard, they're yours. I have free thornless blackberry bushes now because my neighbor's bushes suckered onto my property. You could have found the eggs and discarded them or run over the nests with a lawnmower. Lucky you're a person who knows a golden opportunity when you see it!

Your neighbor is technically trespassing by allowing his or her animals to graze your property w/o permission. Not that you would/ should make a fuss about that, but they can't very well complain if you hatch eggs that were produced on your land by animals eating off your land. (Side note: Are you sure the eggs are fertile and fresh? If not you're just wasting your time trying to hatch them.)

Lagniappe surprises are one of the joys of having likeminded homesteading neighbors. No reason to keep it a secret from your neighbor, but I'd be very surprised if by mentioning it matter-of-factly you created a conflict. Sounds like your neighbor is a pretty easygoing chickenkeeper who'd be happy you were getting into the hobby as well!

Quote:
Absolutely, you can keep 'em. Are you friendly with your neighbor? If so, I would mention it in advance that his girlz are leaving gifts in your yard and you'd like to hatch a few. I'm sure he/she won't mind. If you're not on good terms with your neighbor, he'll be none the wiser. I'm sure he's not going out of his way to track down the few missing eggs anyway. Good luck with it and be forewarned: chickens are habit-forming!

Well what kind of chickens are these?

Maybe you'll want some better chickens of your own.
big_smile.png

I disagree . The chicken hid her nest in your yard because she found a safe spot to hide. If you have to ask if it's "proper or not" then you already know the answer. It's not, that's my opinion anyway.

Quote:
So...IF my neighbor's dog makes a "deposit" in MY yard...it would be "improper" for me to "clean-up" the MESS and dispose of it in such manner as I may choose?

Hhmmm,
-Junkmanme-
old.gif

P.S. Seems "illogical" to me........

I think if the neighbor is looking for them and wants them, it is probably inappropriate. If the neighbor is not looking for them and has not shown that he wants them, then they are yours to hatch. Sounds perfectly legal, moral, and legit to me!

They are old English Black breasted red bantems, I think. When I get home I'll candle the eggs. If they are good I'll put them back. Alas I have made my bator yet

Last edited:
I would wonder more about the neighbor, not noticing a hen missing, if she is sitting on them. How far away is her feed & water? Or are they totally free ranged and not fed anything they don't forage?

I would put food and water down for her just to be neighborly. I would also let my neighbor know that their chicken is nesting on my land and that I am interested in keeping the eggs to help start my flock if that is okay with them. I would say I will care for the hen while she lays in exchange for the chicks that hatch. Then let them decide. If a neighbors dog decided to whelp in your back yard would you feel you had title to keep the pups? You know they are not yours, and you know who they do belong to. what is right is not that hard to figure out. Getting what is right and what you want all together. well now that is another thing. Do the right thing.

Back
Top Bottom