Free Gold Deathlayer x Barred Plymouth Rock cockerel (near St. Charles, MO)

Backyard Divas

Songster
Oct 26, 2022
Free to a good home, 7 weeks old today. I can hold onto him for a while longer but need him gone before he crows (and sooner would be better). He has a really nice disposition so far.
IMG_20221202_154059984_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20221202_153805998_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20221202_153629458~2.jpg
IMG_20221202_163239578~2.jpg

Best of luck finding him a new home.
Thanks. Yeah, I found homes for 2 previously but they weren't mixes. I'm just hoping since the Deathlayer genes aren't as common someone might be interested due to that. If not I'll have to learn how to cull because I can't keep a rooster. I tried not to get attached but when you raise them from chicks it's hard not to.

Thanks. Yeah, I found homes for 2 previously but they weren't mixes. I'm just hoping since the Deathlayer genes aren't as common someone might be interested due to that. If not I'll have to learn how to cull because I can't keep a rooster. I tried not to get attached but when you raise them from chicks it's hard not to.
Yeah, it's pretty hard to not get attached, especially since you take care if they every single day.
Do you have FB? If you do, maybe try posting him there.

Hello, I am new to keeping chickens. I was reading up on this breeds needs. Is it true they like to roam free, are a bit nervous and don't like confined spaces? How are they towards the hens, protective? Trying to see if I could provide a good home for one of them.I have a black Orpington and barred rock, they are very docile and friendly. I am looking for a rooster that is gentle on the hens but alert and active to keep them safe. Thanks!

This cockerel is still young and a hybrid, but so far he is really nice and seems to be doing well with confinement. I have them confined most of the time but do let them out sometimes under my watchful eye and he does well. I noticed today that he was good at announcing food to the others. Seems like a gentleman and out of the three cockerels from this cross I like his disposition best.

The Gold Deathlayer father is definitely like you describe. He didn't like being confined and was always pacing in the cage. This one doesn't act like that at all, seems to have a disposition like his Plymouth Barred Rock mother.

I also have a Gold Deathlayer X Golden Cuckoo Marans that I will need to find a home for as well. That one in looks and disposition takes after his GCM mom. A bit more standoffish than the GDL x PBR but still nice. He is also a bit bigger bird. I was going to hang onto him until spring and let him cross with my Lavender Hedemora before I find him a home but if you aren't interested in the other you could consider him.

Thanks for considering him, let me know if you have any more questions. I have more pictures of them on my what gender is this thread if you want to take a look.

They have a cushion comb, which Is similar to the rose comb and I like it too. Your chick is so cute! I love their leopard look!

The GDL x GCM cross looks like it may have a walnut comb, the GDL x PBR looks more like the cushion comb but I'm not sure it could be walnut too, just not yet as bumpy. It is definitely not a single comb.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! I just found out my BPR is a black sex link rooster. He has red feathers and started to crow .That was a surprise! .oops. sorry I cannot help...

Back
Top Bottom