Free range alternatives to broiler pens, tractors, and coops

Got it - simple shelters.
However I'm paranoid after the poultry massacre we had last year. We've been ok so far with the netting but I'm not sure I'll tempt fate by not having a place to lock up at night.

Quote:
I might see if I can get a hen to teach them the ropes.

By simple shelters, I built what looks like short tables with some old plastic roofing, one is 16" tall and the other is 24" so I can get the waterer under it, they are both 4' by 6'. When they soil the grass under then I move the shelters to new grass.

Our hens are really mean to the Cornish x chicks. When I order a new batch of broilers, I order 5 layer chicks with them. The layer chicks are smarter and forage better and the broilers pick up on what they are doing. I also don't have to worry about brooding layers until they are feathered out. The broiler chicks keep the layer chicks warm and I don't have to keep them under a light. When I take the meaties to be processed the layer chicks go in with my hens.

Our poultry net has protected the broilers from a skunk and our lab and I am not worried about a ground predator. We have hawks, crows and owls and have not had a loss yet.

Thanks for the details loan wizard and jdc - I have a better idea where to take this project now. Easier than I hoped.
thumbsup.gif

I was just reading some more about the hen idea - probably not a good one. There's a thread about broody hens raising meaties but I'm too late to try that.

I just got this crazy idea about the eagles and crows. I have one of those scarecrow motion sensing sprinklers - keeps cats and deer out the garden. If I put that in with the meaties and point it at the sky that stupid eagle is going to get a beak full!
lau.gif

Good Luck, I think the hoop house idea with low roosts is an excellent idea. Contrary to what people have said, my broilers will go in or under a shelter every night. With this heat, make sure that there is cool shade for them to get into.

Here is a picture of my last batch at 5 weeks. You can see the welsummer chicks with them. I like the poultry net as they do not get dirty and they definitely forage. I do not have the feed stampedes either.

I am still learning. I have 100 birds that are 10 weeks, 2 days old that sleep in one shelter, ignore the 2 new shelters, and also find cover under 2 tarps. They don't have the option of a roost so therefore can't/don't.

I have 150 4 week olds in the old hen house waiting for the other 100 to go to processing Tuesday night when I can move the fence for their use, that have learned and are using the roost.

I am also surprised that I have 5 days left and 14 bags of feed, yet they seem to have come to weight. I was told that free ranging them rather than tractoring them would result in more feed cost and a longer time to get to weight.

My experience seems to be a little different. I bough a ton of 16% hog feed and am feeding two 6 week old hogs, 150 freedom chicks (that eat as much as 100 10 week olds almost, and the 100 bigger birds.

When I deliver the big birds and get paid, I will buy another electric net and another ton of feed to finish the year.

I've been free ranging mine since they were 2 weeks old. They are doing great. They aren't yucky and move around a lot. I have an Elderberry bush that is over 7 years old, the CX's love it, It is huge and plenty of shade and cool dirt to lay on. Lots of grass and wooded lot to one side. I find it hard to get them to go in at night, it seems their bed time and mine are different. It is a sight to see me running around the pen trying to chase them in, they may be fat, but they can run fast. Have about 3 weeks left. Maybe I should buy some of that netting you all are talking about.

We built a lightweight PCV frame and put the wire fencing on it, including the top and then at one end put in a door and covered sheltered area. We secure it with super heavy tent stakes and rope. Every other day we move the tractor to the next "untouched" area. The feed & water are moved first to the very edge and then when they come running to "new feed" we just pull the tractor and anchor it. It's very much like the one that was in Grit Magazine a few months back but square. Since I've only ever done meat birds this way, I can't say what the effects are on teh feed bill.

Which issue of Grit was that? I just joined recently and haven't had a chance to go through all of the back issues. I'm having a hard time picturing your setup. When you say door, do you open that to let them range during the day? What is the size of your shelter and what is your stocking density9

I put my FR in a Premier Poultry Electric fence and bought a ton of food. They are 11 weeks and 1 day old today and are getting loaded up tonight, already been given their Last Supper.

Out of that ton of feed, I have fed 150 FR chicks from week 3-5, and two Gilts, as well as some of my layers.

I still have at least 500 lbs of feed. I would say that at this time of year, the pasturing has been extremely effective.

I put my FR in a Premier Poultry Electric fence and bought a ton of food. They are 11 weeks and 1 day old today and are getting loaded up tonight, already been given their Last Supper.

Out of that ton of feed, I have fed 150 FR chicks from week 3-5, and two Gilts, as well as some of my layers.

I still have at least 500 lbs of feed. I would say that at this time of year, the pasturing has been extremely effective.

Where are you having the processing done?

Back
Top Bottom