Free Range and Supplemental Feed

cibula11

Songster
7 Years
Mar 13, 2013
Iowa
We allow our 14 hens to free range, but we also supplement w/ a layer feed. They don't each much of it during the summer months, but obviously that's what they eat during the winter. We also feed kitchen scraps when possible too.

I had a guy that I sell eggs to scoff at the fact that I feed my hens layer feed if they are free range. I didn't want to argue, but tried to explain that they don't get much of it, but it's an easy way to supplement what they don't get on our acre. It also keeps them close to home w/out wandering off our property.

Those that free range, what do you feed your chickens or do you?

This time of year, I barely use feed. I free-range hardcore; my birds have unlimited access to pasture, forest, compost and a stream all around the house. They also get any food scraps that the dogs don't and I re-feed their eggshells. Why pay for processed feed when they can feed themselves? Layers lay 5-7 days a week, some of which are de-beaked, heavy DPs and nearly 3 years old.

I'd read over and over that commercial white leghorns are poor foragers with "no instinct left," and have found this to be 100% untrue, at least in my experience. My leghorns--we call the group White Flight--may be my most enthusiastic foragers of all.

Last edited:
My 17 chickens free range in the afternoon supposedly after they have laid their eggs but some go back to the house in the afternoon to lay. I have been sprouting grains now for a few months to supplement organic layer which is expensive. The best sprouting is with black oil sunflower seeds and I have heard they are not sprayed as they are a broad leaf plant. The next best sprouting I have done is with wheat but you cannot crowd the seeds as much as you can get away with in sunflower seeds. Haven't had any luck with oats, either the feed or the seed so I get crimped oats and crimped barley and soak them just overnight. I also get cheap rice and cook it up. Then after preparing their pans for their morning feed I sprinkle some live meal worms on top. They are pretty easy to grow. My chickens will not eat the corn in regular scratch so much is wasted and organic scratch raises the food bill too high. That's when I started sprouting. Also here near the 2012 Bastrop, Texas fires we are so overrun with rats and mice so every evening I bring in the feed and we go out on rat patrol with a pistol.

You have to evaluate your own situation.

Whether or not chickens can meet their dietary needs while free ranging depends on the quality of the range and how well the birds forage in that range. For example, a farm with mixed grass/forb pastures and compost bins (and some cattle or horse feed to steal) can supply chickens with all they need, but a suburban back yard cannot. Corn fields don't have much to offer chickens, but a fence row does. Different areas may offer more nutrients at different times during the spring and summer, as well. New grass has a bunch more nutrients and is far more digestable than grass in August.

Once you have great forage for the birds, then you have to know your birds are good at meeting their nutritional needs. Pay attention to their weight, how many eggs they are laying, and egg quality. You also have to evaluate how many hens your area can feed. A small, diverse pasture will feed the same number of hens as a large cornfield.

We have pastured birds. Feed consumption in the summer is half of what it is in the winter. However, we want every egg we can get since we sell eggs, and we need them to be high quality eggs. I would never try to force my hens to go hard-core free-range for this reason, as well as the fact that if I were to free range chickens in my area I wouldn't have any left by fall.

This is my thought too. We do have about an acre pasture and an acre of maintained yard. Our layer feed is easily reduced by half this time of year. I'd be interested in providing them another food source, but I also want it to be cost prohibitive. 50 lbs of food for $12 once every few weeks is manageable. Anything more than that I start losing money on my chickens (right now the money I make selling my extras pays for feed).

I just was caught off guard when he told me don't feed them that....not that I will do anything different, I just got to wondering.

Are there food sources that's cheaper to supplement w/ other than layer feed?

50 lbs of food for $12

Are there food sources that's cheaper to supplement w/ other than layer feed?

At $12/bag you are already at the cheap end of the chicken feed spectrum.

The thing about layer feed is that it contains all the nutrients your birds need to live. Once you start feeding them just one thing--say BOSS--then you are missing some nutrients. And around here BOSS is definitely more expensive than chicken feed--$30-50 per 50lbs.

Definitely don't give in to the temptation to buy scratch grains instead of chicken feed. They are a low-protein feed and basically chicken candy; not worth saving the few bucks a bag.

From one egg seller to another--if you are running that close on margin that you can't afford chicken feed, then it's time to raise your price on eggs. I can't make a dozen eggs for less than $2.70/dozen (includes a 35 cent carton). We wholesale them for $3.20, and the store in turn marks that up. Even at that price it's usually a break-even proposition come tax time.

Last edited:
I'm new to raising chickens and we've just got them in the coop. We have 2 acres, 1 of which is trees/brush/weeds/grass etc (left natural) and 1 is a little more manicured. So far the chicks are staying very close to the coop and eating a lot of grass, new blackberry leaves, etc..

I have feed in the coop (grower at the moment, but will switch to layer when the time comes.) and I do see them duck inside on occasion to grab a beak full. My question is, are the chickens smart enough to regulate their own diet? If they're outside eating grass all day, are they missing the nutrients they need because they're full and not eating their feed?

Back
Top Bottom