Free-range backyard tips?

I also free range all day, and have a hawk living in my neighbor's tree next door .the hawk has made a couple of swoops but the chickens have always gotten under cover. I also have a dog that sometimes alerts and barks when the Hawk shows up. I accept the fact I might lose some chickens but my girls are very unhappy being locked up in the run all day. Once they taste free range they are spoiled. Just make sure you have something for them to run under, like a patio umbrella, bushes. Mine have an old day bed that my Great Dane likes to sleep on.

My chickens free range in my yard all day also. I have a six-foot chain-link fence, couple trees and a lot of bushes for them to hide under. I also have a coop and run that I can lock them in if I need to. I locked them in the coop at night. Be prepared that your chickens might start laying eggs in places you don't necessarily plan on :) I had one chicken that just didn't seem to quit laying her eggs out in the yard so I used a cat litter box that was covered and she used that.
I think it is important for animals to live as naturally as they can, and there is a risk but I think it's worth it.

Back
Top Bottom