Free range bounderies?

Bethschickens

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 1, 2012
We let our chickens free range. We have 1 1/2 acres in town, but our house sits way off the street and the 1 whole acre is behind the house and secluded nicely by trees/woods on both sides. My problem is the chickens have been going to the front of the house and wandering over to the neighbors. I was just wondering if there is any way to discourage them from the area short of a fence? Love to let them roam as we have all kinds of room in the back yard and fruit trees etc. Thanks for any help!

No way to contain them without a fence. My girls have ended up across the street, seems the older they get the farther away they are comfortable to venture.
We let ours free range when we are home and keep them in the "play-pen" while we are at work. We felt awful with them cooped up in the coop all day so for less than $100 they got a play pen. One roll of 4 ft wire fence and one 25x25 ft fruit tree net (the poultry net was crazy expensive). We used the trees as posts and some rope and zip ties to secure our fruit tree net as a roof. I figure if the net keeps birds out of trees it will keep a few chickens in.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Back
Top Bottom