Free range chickens - Diet question

Alexamac

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 17, 2012
We are just getting started with chickens, having just bought our farm. It was owned by a couple for the past 41 years and they haven't made much use of it in the past decade. With 23 acres, these chickens will be 100% free range eventually and we are going with Partridge Chantecler's from a breeder who aims for broodiness. Hoping to have a self sustaining flock after next year. Their coop will be about 20 meters from a pond where there is a TON of bugs. I mean ton. You can't hear yourself think at dusk. There are weeds and plants and we will be using the good old bucket with cast offs of meat to culture maggots. There will also be a near by manure pile with rabbit/goat excrements for them to do with as they please. Ducks will be free ranged on the opposing side of the rather large pond (Lets say 100 meters away). We intend to let them find a lot of their food by foraging, but we are using commercial starter right now and grower soon. We will be growing our own corn (a little late this season but next) so that we can make cracked corn for them in the winters. Curious what kind of balance you all think they would get through forage and if we could get away with a corn/oyster shell mix in the warmer months. They will also have access to fresh goats milk/oat mash on a daily basis, I'm thinking this should balance out the protein deficiency in corn, this will be available in the winter as well. The goal is to provide as much of our own food, using what we have, when we have it and maintaining healthy livestock at the same time with minimal cost. The question is, would this diet be sufficient for an established free range flock for atleast most of the year with a layer feed being given in the snowy months (along with the corn to help keep them warm). Also we will be using the deep litter method in the coop.

Hubby being an engineer and a little quirky wants to take advantage of the large tin roof on the run in shelter we are converting to harvest what rain water we can for them. Can anyone think of any ill-effects this may cause? I realize it would only help out for parts of the year, but I don't know that the pond would be clean enough drinking water for them (especially with them sharing with the ducks)... however it is an inconvenient distance from plumbing so there will be hauling to be had!

If their environment is as rich as you say, they'll likely take in 75% of their nutrients from the fields. However, our "live" season here is so short. Winter is long and bitter. So, enjoy the time they can range and provide for themselves. You'll likely find they require very little supplemental feed during the peak ranging season. I offer mash, a controlled portion, morning and late afternoon, and they can eat it if they wish and they always do. My friends refuse to feed their birds until late afternoon, saying it would "spoil" them to feed them earlier. Everyone has to find their system.

Back
Top Bottom