Free range chickens not laying well when I have to keep up - is this normal?

Enimo

Chirping
Mar 22, 2015
I have great egg layers - black australorps, barred rocks, leghorns, etc and they usually free range until the door closes on the coop at night. I lost a few to predators and I am now letting them out less. I usually gather 8-12 eggs a day. I have had a couple days recently - today being one - that I only gathered one egg. I had a snake in the coop one day but I "eliminated" him. Is it normal for chickens to boycott laying when they are put up? Also, my Ameraucana was laying an extra large blue egg almost daily and hasn't laid the last 3 days. I have 12 hens and one rooster. When they are out they range on 6 acres. When they are in they have a coop that is 10x20 with one large waterer and one large feeder of layer crumbles. Should I add different food? It has been cooler lately - 50's at night. Any ideas?? Thanks

It maybe just the change in routine that has them a little cheesed off. Chickens are creatures of habit, so keeping them in the coop when they are used to free ranging may be causing them a bit of stress, and hence laying less.

CT

welcome-byc.gif

How old are they?

Back
Top Bottom