Free range chickens

Tundra Grey

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2023
Hey Everyone,
I live in South Central Alaska and want to start a few flocks of free range chickens that mostly care for themselves. I am scheduled to get (12) Kelso AGF chicks and (12) Regular Grey AGF chicks this spring. I am also planning on getting about (20) Old English Gamefowl from one of the big hatcheries. I want some Red Jungle Fowl as well. Does anyone have good info on where to acquire some? Are Cackle Hatchery \Purely Poultry Jungle Fowl good enough or should I get them elsewhere. It is also hard to find smaller breeders willing to ship to Alaska. Later on I would like to add some Leghorn and Chantecler as well. Planning on letting some mix breed on their own as well as some planned mixes. Could use some help finding available Chantecler as well. Any info will be appreciated.

Hey Everyone,
I live in South Central Alaska and want to start a few flocks of free range chickens that mostly care for themselves. I am scheduled to get (12) Kelso AGF chicks and (12) Regular Grey AGF chicks this spring. I am also planning on getting about (20) Old English Gamefowl from one of the big hatcheries. I want some Red Jungle Fowl as well. Does anyone have good info on where to acquire some? Are Cackle Hatchery \Purely Poultry Jungle Fowl good enough or should I get them elsewhere. It is also hard to find smaller breeders willing to ship to Alaska. Later on I would like to add some Leghorn and Chantecler as well. Planning on letting some mix breed on their own as well as some planned mixes. Could use some help finding available Chantecler as well. Any info will be appreciated.
Welcome to the group. I have to ask, are there any predators where you plan to free range and if so, how will you protect your chickens?

Welcome to the group. I have to ask, are there any predators where you plan to free range and if so, how will you protect your chickens?
I am going with gamefowl hoping they will avoid predators to an extent on there own. Also plan on keeping breeding stock at home with two LGD. I plan on building stock this year and free ranging some next year. When I do try to free range I will probably release in overgrown areas.

How cold does it get during winter nights up there?
About -30° F. Most heritage breeds do fine up here in a dry coop with good ventilation. I will probably gather up whoever I can for the coldest part of winter or supply them with shelter and feed

You are talking about gamefowl and the red jungle fowl here, the real deal. In addition, Mediterranean breeds for such a cold climate might be risky, especially since you want to free range them

Back
Top Bottom