Free range chickens

wngsttr

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 27, 2011
Jackson, Ca.
I have 6-10 week old chicks and would like to know are they to young to free range.? My 3 other older chicken free range now.

I Cant say if its right or wrong...but all my chicks that age have run free range.
They are safely inside their house by sundown.

D.gif

I can't see where you live, but I'd say if they are feathered out enough to be warm enough, they'll be fine. I started letting the chicks out in the yard for an hour or two when they were tiny because we got a warm day. They took dust baths almost the first time I let them out. They didn't go very far from one another when they were small and soon it was hard to catch them and put them back in the brooder. I put them in the coop, free range during the day, locked in at night at about six weeks. I remember because it was independence day. By then they were exploring the whole back yard and the back porch.

My chicks that are in the same age range free range during the day. Have been doing it for a couple weeks now. I also have chicks that are only 4 weeks old. They stay pretty close to the coop but do go out. Everyone is locked in at night. And usually by the time am ready to lock up for the night they are already inside. If not the come running when I call them.

I have my first group of chicks who are around 6 weeks old. I don't really know what I'm doing and am just playing it by ear. A couple days ago I started letting them out for short periods of time under close supervision, and they all stuck close to each other and close to their coop. I'm now to the point where I feel comfortable leaving them alone and for longer periods of time, and they still all stay in a group but are getting more courageous and are venturing further from the coop. They seem to be doing well and instinctively know what to do.

My babies love to go out and play in the yard for most of the day! They are 7 weeks now and I probably started letting them go out about 2 weeks ago~ sometimes I'll leave my dogs out side for added protection! But we are all fenced in so the only thing that might consider bothering them is a Hawk or a maybe a cat. What kind of area would yours free range in? Is it fenced in or open land?

I have a quarter acre fenced in.with feild fencing. I live in the country in the foothills in Jackson, ca. I have 2 cats that I worry about. So far they don't bother the old chickens. I guess I will just have too try it and stand gaurd in the beginning. Thanks for all the feedback.

I don't really like free range, mostly just because of were I live and my dogs but I would say once they have no more baby fluff on them.

Back
Top Bottom