Free range day,coop at night

Leave them locked up in the coop for a couple weeks. Then they should know the coop as home, and return to it at dusk without any encouragement.

If you need to: lure them in with treats, and/or herd them in.

Imp

Mine come back to the coop on their own everynight. Normally if they know where they live they will come back
smile.png

i have a little white bowl that has the treats in it.. i gave it to them for about a week in the run.. then i let them out to free range and when i bring that little white bowl out the door and call here chick, chick, chick, they come barreling into the run and i shut the door.. works like a charm. use corn..yogurt, peas, cereal and milk.. anything they adore.

I don't think you need to keep them locked up more than a few das. Let them out late in the day at first. Meanwhile, start training them right away with the same bowl for treats or scratch and using the same call each time you bring some. When it's about food, they learn quickly.

I just went through this 2 weeks ago with my first flock of 11 chickens. Kept them locked up for 12 days (I was shooting for 14, but the pullets were getting antsy to get out). On their first day out I let them out at about 6 pm, and then they went in on their own at dusk. The next day I let them out early (7 am). They went in the house to lay their eggs, and then in again at dusk. I was nervous, but it worked out. Guess they know what they're doing!

Ditto. I always keep my newbies locked in for 5 to 7 days, then let them out. They know where their home is, and they are always in before dark. I also lock them in every few days when they get close to laying age, so that I know when they begin laying -- once they lay a couple, I keep them in for a few days, so they get in the habit of laying in the coop and not outside in the bushes...

They are pretty smart and will catch on in just a few days to where they are safe.
Occasionally you will run across a hen or two who doesn't like to flock up. I had two like that in my original flock. They were always off by themselves and kept trying to sleep out in the orchard at night. after pulling them out of the trees several times there came an eve when I couldn't find them and sure enough they got killed by a raccoon.
I'm philosophical about it- you don't want that behavior passed on in your flock.
The mother hens are really amazing teaching the babies. They keep them in the coop the first few days; then in the yard (even iwth the gate open). after 5 days or a week, she finally takes them out the gate, but only just right around the coop and greenhouse. the mother with the 3 week old chicks takes them to bed at dusk; the 5-wk old ones are allowed to stay up a little later. But all the chicks are in the nests with moms before the rooster and big hens come in for the night. They organize themselves without too much input from me.

Back
Top Bottom