Free range feed vs. pellets

katychick

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 3, 2013
We have started letting our 11 week old chickens free range for about 11 hours a day. In addition to throwing out the occasions fruit and vegetable scrapes they forage around our yard and garden constantly while eating very little if their pellets. Will this be a bad combination for good quality eggs eventually?

hi I would say this is a matter of opinion. I get eggs almost everyday and they are creamy and Delicious. I feed layer feed by purenia and they eat bugs and grasses from their run. I also feed oyster shells mealworms and scratch by purenia as a snack. they get fruits in smaller quantity and get vitamin supplements in the water. my main concern would be adequate nutrition. especially when they begin to lay. the layer feed has most everything in it there body's need for egg production. while they are younger they also need balanced nutrition for growth. I planted a special chicken pasture with omega3 mix of grasses but still I make sure they eat there balanced grains first before I let them forage . so in my opinion I think nutritionally speaking its very important to eat the food made for their age group first. also vitamins are a good thing to give. I would be worried they are not getting all the nutrition they need especially when it comes to laying. I'm not saying fruits are bad I feed fruits too but I would try and get them to start there day with there balanced grains first. hope this helps and best wishes.

So do you think I should keep them in their run longer in the morning where it is mostly sand and they would be forced to eat their pellet feed for awhile before letting them out to forage?

yes I would give it a try and see how it goes. that's what I do with mine. hope this is helpful and works out well for you! I wish you the best!

We have started letting our 11 week old chickens free range for about 11 hours a day. In addition to throwing out the occasions fruit and vegetable scrapes they forage around our yard and garden constantly while eating very little if their pellets. Will this be a bad combination for good quality eggs eventually?

Actually, this is an ideal situation. Enjoy it while it lasts. It saves on the feed bill tremendously. If they aren't eating a lot of their feed, but filling up through what nature provides, that is outstanding. It won't always be this way. When the natural environment goes stale because of summer heat, drought, or winter barrenness they will return to their feed.

We have food inside the coop and also available outside the coop. I see the girls stop by frequently and eat their food while free ranging and they have quite a diverse area to range in. Actually, I see them eating their food right now and minutes ago they were scratching around under a Red Fir tree on the other side of the house.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom