free range hens with no roo

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by california gray, Jul 13, 2018.

1. california gray

california gray In the Brooder

Jul 13, 2018
    hello everyone I have 4 hens I assuming they're gonna start laying within 2 weeks. my question is since there is no rooster they gonig to be fine laying?

2. Theladiesandagentleman

Theladiesandagentleman First world chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Roseville CA
    Yes. You do not need a rooster for egg production.

3. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist Premium Member

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Good news! You don't need to have a rooster to get lots of eggs. Your girls will go right on laying without a rooster. You only need a rooster if you want chicks.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 8 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Your hens will be thrilled not to have a rooster bothering them all the time.

5. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Free Ranging

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

6. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie ---CMS--- (Chicken Math Syndrome) Premium Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Fl. Peninsula
    My Coop
    farmer connie copy.jpg
    Free ranging with or without a Rooster is risky. :oops:Everything from threats up above to the neighbors who also free range- their dogs that is. It is healthier for them of course to have fresh ground to pillage and plunder but it is a double edge sword as well.

Egg production will increase without a Male. Roosters sometimes stress the hens by over breeding. A nervous hen is likely not to produce as consistently as a relaxed hen.
    But, I enjoy having the opportunities that comes with owning males. I breed. Breed a lot. As a supplemental income.
    Not to mention the ambience that a crowing rooster adds to living on a farm. It's just not a farm without a rooster.
    CHICKEN LIFE copy.gif
    rooster hugger.gif

7. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Enlightened Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    :yesss: We are glad you joined our flock!

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
    Chicken Coops

BYC has an APP

8. Crow-ded house

Crow-ded house Songster

May 2, 2016
    Bartlesville, OK
    Welcome

9. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us.

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping birds - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

This is a useful link relating to guides to read through - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/website-announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3/?prefix_id=3

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: