"Free Range" is short for "Free For All"!!

rolffamily

Songster
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Wisconsin
I feel bad, but I have called it quits with the free range option. We have 17 acres but the 7 chickens choose to tear apart the gardens in the one acre house area. I just planted my veggie garden and refuse to have that gone too. And I have a 2 year old grandson who gets full of poop when he's over, which means I get full of poop too. (Grandparents will understand). They have a nice run, so I shouldn't feel too guilty, but I still do. My hat is off to those of you who can tolerate it.

I free range my birds. We do have a garden but its fenced off so no problem there. They do occasionally get in the landscaping but I just nabbed them with a squirt gun or the hose when they did that, now they stay away. As for chicken poop in the yard, use a power blower periodically when it's dry out, then the poop just blows away. Free ranging is not as hard as it seems but I realize that it doesn't work for everybody

Perhaps you can let them out to free range later in the evening? I let mine out about 7:00, so they only have about 1 1/2 - 2 hours to free range. They can't go too far or cause too much danger in that little time.

This makes me nervous! I have 3 pullets on about 1/4 of an acre. So far, they haven't done any damage. I have a large perennial garden but they were all above 6 inches when the birds got out for the first time. My hope is that they have enough to nibble that they won't damage any one plant too much. I do have my vegetable garden fenced off. We are building a new deck that will include gates to keep the girls off the deck area...and their poo! So far, so good and I sure hope our luck continues. My 2 1/2 year old nephew loves to "work" in the yard collecting worms for the girls.

I have to hose the yard every other day or so..( I have 44 or so free-range chickens and 2 free-range geese now....it has not ruined the grass and all flower beds are fenced off., but we all have crocs for the backyard. It is a bit of a nuisance but I choose to tolerate it.I also do not have any small kids though....that would make it tough! I have a friend who only lets his chickens out for an hour and a half before dusk because of the damage they can do.I think if you give them treats in the run and limited time out...they''l be happy and so will you
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom