1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Free range laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lafemmeale, Dec 18, 2009.

1. lafemmeale

lafemmeale Out Of The Brooder

Hi! I just found my first eggs today! I have 5 girls free ranging in the yard & one of them picked a VERY convenient spot to lay her first 3 eggs, right next to the house in a large plastic pot under the porch. My question is, will she keep laying in the same spot every time? Could I be so lucky? Will the other girls follow her lead or will I have to have daily easter egg hunts? Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Mine free range, but always go back to the laying box to lay. I just got two new girls and one of the new ones keeps trying to guard the laying box so I added a new one. My experience is once they start laying somewhere, they will keep it up and the other girls should follow suit. Unless you have other similar boxes with nesting material in them.

Are all three eggs from one day? You probably have three of them laying.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  3. beth59

beth59 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2009
    Pensacola, Fl
    We kept ours in their run when we thought they were ready to start laying so that they would get used to laying in the nest boxes. Now they will go back to the coop when they have to lay. We did find one nest outside under the shed on the side of our barn early on that apparently a couple of them had revisited several times, as it had 4 eggs of different colors in it, but now, they all go back to the coop to lay.

Beth

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by