"free range"--let's get rid of this nonsense term

Pics
Free Range is the best way to lose every chicken you have! Even in a non-rural setting, there are coyotes, raccoons, o'possums, dogs, and any number of other predators, and if your chickens aren't secured, they're dinner for something!

Chicken security is being inside a pen with bottom, top, sides, etc. secured.
I loose one once in awhile but between pellet rifle and .22 the prob usually solved pretty quick. I've never came close to loosing every chicken I have. One or two maybe and some yrs none.

I’ve lost a total of 3 chickens to predators. One while I was on vacation and the pet sitter let the chickens out to free range and a coyote got the chicken, once while I was at Church and came home to a feather mess, (not sure what killed her) and once one just disappeared (a silkie named Boba) likely from a predator.

Now I supervise always.

"free range." ---Your chickens can leave where you live and never come back because you live in an area with no fences...agreed..."free range."

not "free range"---you have any defined area whether it be 1 acre or 1000 acres of space with fences to keep your chickens from "free ranging"...that's basically a chicken "run."

doesn't matter either way...the term "free range" is worthless and mostly annoying. every time i hear it i instantly know the person i am dealing with just bought their first chickens.

"free range" is for the conglomerate egg sellers as a marketing ploy. i encourage you to eliminate this terminology.

the advantage that you all have is farm fresh nutritious eggs...because what you feed them is what matters. "free range" is the least essential part and that's why they market this...because....that's what costs the least...to upsell their product.
My chickens have a fenced run that is 1 whole acre. They are free range - and i don’t thing that’s a misrepresentation at all.

Besides a dog massacre a few years ago, I've never lost more than a single bird at a time (apart from chicks but I don't count broody chicks) to predators, including my 24/7/365 free flock
I've lost some broody chicks to a skunk...that was a fun one to 'dissapear'.
I actually lost my last one been awhile to a fox in the coop at night just a few days ago. I never close coop door. Past few days it's shut and cement blocked both ways. Have a havaheart trap out for it and just right now found a old leghold real trap in FIL's barn, set that sucker just in a little hole I made in the run.
This is only third time I've had fox probs.
I have many trail cam photos of fox at night around my coops, for yrs left my birds alone must be they had enough to eat. They leave my birds alone I leave them alone. Cross the line it's game on.
Second time it was just a young one, killed one of my birds at night and it didn't get a chance to leave, 12gauge.
First time was during the daytime I wasn't home birds 'free ranging', DW and oldest DDs boyfriend witnessed it.
Proof it doesn't take a mean rooster to protect a flock, fox killed and had one of his hens middle of the day White Jersey Giant the nicest calmest best boy I've ever had they said flogged the crap out of that fox right on it's back right up through the field next to us. It may have killed one of my favorite hens but didn't get to eat it rooster drove it off.

"free range." ---Your chickens can leave where you live and never come back because you live in an area with no fences...agreed..."free range."

not "free range"---you have any defined area whether it be 1 acre or 1000 acres of space with fences to keep your chickens from "free ranging"...that's basically a chicken "run."

doesn't matter either way...the term "free range" is worthless and mostly annoying. every time i hear it i instantly know the person i am dealing with just bought their first chickens.

"free range" is for the conglomerate egg sellers as a marketing ploy. i encourage you to eliminate this terminology.

the advantage that you all have is farm fresh nutritious eggs...because what you feed them is what matters. "free range" is the least essential part and that's why they market this...because....that's what costs the least...to upsell their product.
I like to call my eggs "Backyard Eggs". My birds have electronet fence to protect them from our local wildlife, which include: Coyotes, Bobcats, Bear, neighborhood dogs, and some occasional homeless humans. Free Range has a nice sound to it, but freedom is relative! My BYC have a great life compared to any other egg-layer. They have an outdoor life, with sun and grass.

Attachments

• IMG_6237.JPG
    IMG_6237.JPG
    525.7 KB · Views: 1
I like to call my eggs "Backyard Eggs". My birds have electronet fence to protect them from our local wildlife, which include: Coyotes, Bobcats, Bear, neighborhood dogs, and some occasional homeless humans. Free Range has a nice sound to it, but freedom is relative! My BYC have a great life compared to any other egg-layer. They have an outdoor life, with sun and grass.
That's my set up, too. Plenty of clutter and small trees to give protection/cover from arial predators and electric poultry fencing for the ones on the ground.

OT, but after reading all this I watched Super Size Me 2. I don’t have chickens, I keep quail, so maybe this is a dumb question, how did Murray Mcmurray hatchery gender those day old, seemingly identical all white (yellow) chicks by sight?

OT, but after reading all this I watched Super Size Me 2. I don’t have chickens, I keep quail, so maybe this is a dumb question, how did Murray Mcmurray hatchery gender those day old, seemingly identical all white (yellow) chicks by sight?
What breed were they? There's one sex link where girls are yellow and males are whitish or yellow with a head spot I think

Back
Top Bottom