"free range"--let's get rid of this nonsense term

Pics
Semantics. Free-range is a legitimate term for a poultry management method. Yes, it has been highjacked by marketers for commercial production, but that doesn't make it incorrect for describing the method of allowing your chickens to roam at will on your own property.

In my experience the chickens I kept locked up in a run were a bunch of Dimwits compared to the wiley hens I let free range on my 3+ acres. Yes they are more at risk, but they are far healthier and happier and fit than my chicken prisoners of the past.

Perhaps we're spinning our wheels about the term "free range," for there are multiple definitions and confusion, definitely not just among newcomers to chicken raising. Here's an excellent article covering all the meanings (including USDA misappropriation of the term) we've discussed in use today and in history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_range
Looks like the presence or absence of fencing does not determine whether animals are truly "free range," though in most people's minds, the size and foliage and sunshine availability of the enclosure would matter.
In our remote rural area, we have actual, legally-defined free-range cattle wandering over the desert. Homeowners must fence the cattle out if they don't want them on their acreage, so the cattle encounter barriers. They also are restricted by cattle guards over roads, fences around the state lease grazing lands on which they forage, and at times, corrals into which they are herded by their owners.
No matter how widely a cow or chicken (or even a coyote) can roam freely, eventually there will be a fence.
And if there were no fences, there would eventually be an ocean that would prevent further exploration.

So is anyone with a fence an ass clown?

So glad I don't have a fence rn. 😂😂🤣🤣
I have a fences in some areas for cattle and horses. I have barbed wire fences and electric wire fences. My FREE RANGE chickens go under through and if they want...or maybe over. They FREE RANGE...so guess I'm an Ass Clown! Ha Ha Ha ! And for the record...we're building a barn home and our living room is enormous!:lau

Last edited:
I have a fences in some areas for cattle and horses. I have barbed wire fences and electric wire fences. My FREE RANGE chickens go under through and if they want...or maybe over. They FREE RANGE...so guess I'm an Ass Clown! Ha Ha Ha ! And for the record...we're building a barn home and our living room is enormous!:lau
If you don't give the chickens access to your living room, they are not free range! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

If you don't give the chickens access to your living room, they are not free range! 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Lol I leave my doors open a lot and they are always wandering in. They know the meaning of the word OUT! They also enjoy the dog bed on my porch.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1617043944612.jpg
    FB_IMG_1617043944612.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom