Free Range Peacock

LaylaB

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2021
I have one peacock and three hens. He’s been free range on my property (10 acres) for 15 years. The hens have been with me since chicks and they are 4 years old. Here’s my problem. I have one hen that goes to my neighbor’s to nest. They also have 10 acres. She’s done this 3 times that I know of. She only goes there to nest. As soon as she hatches she brings her chicks home. My other hens nest on my property and I’ve had success with all the babies. Selling them to others who enjoy my purebred birds. I don’t want any more chicks to raise, nor do I plan to raise any chicks. My neighbor stated to me that he would cage my bird the next time she nests on his property. And now he has. I know she’s nesting because my other two hens are also. I can hear her when she comes off the nest because she honks. And it’s unmistakable. There are no other peacocks near me so I’m certain it’s her. I know I have no right to demand anything of my neighbor and I don’t intend to. I just am concerned because they have over 30 cats. I know this will not be a good mix. I don’t know what to do. My hen has never been caged. It worries me that she may hurt herself when the chicks hatch. Any suggestions?

This is a risk with free ranging if they go onto to others property you have to deal with it. Though I don't know how legal it is for them to cage and keep your property, sounds like an illegal grey area imo. He's caged the bird but he should return your property to you. While I sympathize with the current feeling of loss you should have figured out how to encourage her to nest on your property. Right now you should focus on recovering her from the neighbor then adjusting her natural path she used so she doesn't find that end of the property exciting enough to nest on. It's a shame they didn't return her after caging her. Hopefully they don't illegally sell her or kill/eat/feed her to their cats.

This is a risk with free ranging if they go onto to others property you have to deal with it. Though I don't know how legal it is for them to cage and keep your property, sounds like an illegal grey area imo. He's caged the bird but he should return your property to you. While I sympathize with the current feeling of loss you should have figured out how to encourage her to nest on your property. Right now you should focus on recovering her from the neighbor then adjusting her natural path she used so she doesn't find that end of the property exciting enough to nest on. It's a shame they didn't return her after caging her. Hopefully they don't illegally sell her or kill/eat/feed her to their cats.
I should have mentioned in my original post. I have made every effort to encourage her to nest on my property. Made lovely nests with fresh hay high off the ground in my barn. Out of the weather. Even bought white ceramic goose eggs to encourage her to lay. One hen did set in the new nest. One went back to nest in her same spot in my barn and the other returned to her previous nest on the neighboring property. If you know of any tricks to encourage free range birds to nest please share. I greatly appreciate all input and ideas. Hopefully he will turn her out once she hatches. If he does she will return to me. Of that, I am certain. Maybe her chicks will survive long enough to make it through the feral cat gauntlet.

Welcome to BYC. I don't want to be harsh, but it is 100% your responsibility to keep your animals on your own property. He warned you that he wasn't going to tolerate her trespassing onto his land anymore and you didn't take action.

I don't know if your local laws about stray animals permit him to keep the peahen or not but he'd be entirely within his rights to turn her over to Animal Control.

I'm sure that the members of the Peafowl forum would be willing to help you come up with a suitable means of containing your birds on your own property. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/peafowl.51/

You mentioned you had a barn? If/when you get her back and she nests again next year lock her up for a couple of days. Let her lay a couple of eggs and hopefully she’ll continue to lay there. If she does go off again you’ll have to lock her up until she finishes laying. You could also feed her a bit in there when she nests or just heads in there. She might not like being locked up but it’d be better than losing her completely. We had a peahen who laid in our old rabbit cage that had a broken lid. We put a sheet of tin over it and she was a bit stressed being locked up for a couple of days but I provided food and water and at least he boys didn’t get to her and squash the eggs.

Welcome to BYC. I don't want to be harsh, but it is 100% your responsibility to keep your animals on your own property. He warned you that he wasn't going to tolerate her trespassing onto his land anymore and you didn't take action.

I don't know if your local laws about stray animals permit him to keep the peahen or not but he'd be entirely within his rights to turn her over to Animal Control.

I'm sure that the members of the Peafowl forum would be willing to help you come up with a suitable means of containing your birds on your own property. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/peafowl.51/
Hmmmm, so I guess that means the next time his horses trample my garden I can lock them up and refuse to return them. 🤷‍♀️

Have you asked him if he will release her? Relying on someone else to do the right thing in letting her free is very trusting of you.
Well…no, I haven’t. But there are underlying circumstances. I only speak to this neighbor when he approaches me. He and my ex are good friends. My ex ran off with another woman a couple of years ago after 25 years of marriage and the judge punished him severely. I got the house, the acreage and a substantial monthly forever stipend to assist with our adult disabled son. So my ex is very bitter and I’m guessing his friend sees the ex’s side only. I don’t want to think this is just to spite me (his caging of my bird on her nest) but rather than ask him to free her I can only hope that she will come home when she gets the chance to escape. So no I wouldn’t call it trusting him to do the right thing. I don’t really know what to call it but I’m afraid to appear bothered because that may be the goal. Can’t give that kind of satisfaction if you know what I mean. He does have animals that are well tended. Maybe if he sees her distressed he will let her free. I don’t mean to air my laundry but I am in a bit of a pickle and upset about my bird. I truly love my birds. Thank you for listening. And I do appreciate your help.

Back
Top Bottom