Free range problem

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kevin565, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I have 2 ducks and 2 juvenile geese. i want to make my flock free range. The problem is right now i have a huge stray cat population. How can i make this free range work (during the day)? In the summer i have a opossum problem how can i keep the flock safe?

Also the geese have problematic wings so one is slipped and the other goose's wing hang down by its side its better than it was but she cant run as fast as the ducks because of this.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Cats don't usually bother adult chickens. The possums are a bigger problem. You will probably have to securely lock them up at night.

3. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    My neighbors cat is always in my barn - but ive never had the problem of them eating my ducks, much less a goose. I usually let mine freerange when i am out doing yard work , or when i take a book outside and I sit in the barn for a while.

4. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I'm assuming you mean free ranging in the day only? I have a pair of geese and they keep the cats at a distance. I think you are okay with those. The opposums are a different story. Like horsejody says, lock 'em up at night.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Cats wont usually bother an adult duck.

As for the goose...it sounds like it might have angel wing. If it is still young you might be able to treat it.

6. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    You shouldnt have a problem with free ranging...just make sure you lock them up at night!

7. alandra_lee

alandra_lee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    Mine free ranged happily for months in our fenced in yard with now problem. Then one day I looked out to see a hawk tearing into the neck of one of my beloved ducks. Now the ducks have a "day pen" and only get to free range if we're in the yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by