Free Range Question?

shoo80

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
I have a question for anyone with free range chickens. Does anyone let them free range why no one is home? Like when everyone is at work during the day? Or just when you are at Home?

my flock free ranges all day long, whether someone is here or not. I am just one of those people that just cannot see my birds behind cages. I love watchiing them run around.
The thing you have to consider, is your area. If you have lots of predators during the day, you might consider keeping them in a run while no one is home. Stray dogs are a huge threat to birds during the day, as well as Birds of prey.

Hi shoo80, we let our birds range from sunup to sun down even when we're not here. Our roo is very protective of them.We are surounded by nothing but woods with a road out front. That road is our only worry but so far so good. When we're home our sheppard keeps them away from the road but when we're not the girls and roo are on thier own. At times when we are gone till after dark we ALLWAYS find them sound asleep in thier coop when we git home. We try and not be gone too long after the sun goes down tho because we like to get the coop closed up asap.Hope this helps ya.
Jim

I live two miles out f town. There is a house directly across the road from us that has a dog, but it is scared to come over. It almost never leaves there yard. I have two labs that are in a dog run all day until I get home. I have lived here about 4 months and have yet to see a predator near the house. I have shot two skunks but that was at night. THe main reason I do not want the chickens in a run is beause want to have to build one and it would just be something else sticking out in my yard. Besides that I like it when I drive by a farm yard and see chickens roaming freely.

my hens an turkeys freerange all day everyday.i havent locked mine in the henhouse in months.an havent had anything get got yet.but i dont reccomend doing the way i do.because you could lose all your hens in 1 swift kick.

Eventually, I will let the girls have their freedom all day when I'm not home. Right now, we're testing the waters by letting them cruise when we're home. Not really any loose dogs on my road, but you never know who might cruise by if they smell them eventually?

Back
Top Bottom