Free Range Question?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by shoo80, Apr 10, 2008.

1. shoo80

shoo80 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    I have a question for anyone with free range chickens. Does anyone let them free range why no one is home? Like when everyone is at work during the day? Or just when you are at Home?

2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    my flock free ranges all day long, whether someone is here or not. I am just one of those people that just cannot see my birds behind cages. I love watchiing them run around.
    The thing you have to consider, is your area. If you have lots of predators during the day, you might consider keeping them in a run while no one is home. Stray dogs are a huge threat to birds during the day, as well as Birds of prey.

3. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Hi shoo80, we let our birds range from sunup to sun down even when we're not here. Our roo is very protective of them.We are surounded by nothing but woods with a road out front. That road is our only worry but so far so good. When we're home our sheppard keeps them away from the road but when we're not the girls and roo are on thier own. At times when we are gone till after dark we ALLWAYS find them sound asleep in thier coop when we git home. We try and not be gone too long after the sun goes down tho because we like to get the coop closed up asap.Hope this helps ya.
    Jim

4. shoo80

shoo80 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    I live two miles out f town. There is a house directly across the road from us that has a dog, but it is scared to come over. It almost never leaves there yard. I have two labs that are in a dog run all day until I get home. I have lived here about 4 months and have yet to see a predator near the house. I have shot two skunks but that was at night. THe main reason I do not want the chickens in a run is beause want to have to build one and it would just be something else sticking out in my yard. Besides that I like it when I drive by a farm yard and see chickens roaming freely.

5. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    my hens an turkeys freerange all day everyday.i havent locked mine in the henhouse in months.an havent had anything get got yet.but i dont reccomend doing the way i do.because you could lose all your hens in 1 swift kick.

6. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Always in a run except for an hour or two before dark when I can be outside with them. Too many predators here.

Wayne

7. chicamama

chicamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Topanga Ca
    Eventually, I will let the girls have their freedom all day when I'm not home. Right now, we're testing the waters by letting them cruise when we're home. Not really any loose dogs on my road, but you never know who might cruise by if they smell them eventually?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by