Free Range Question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ekofke201, Jan 8, 2012.

1. ekofke201

ekofke201 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Southern PA
    Is it safe to leave my chickens out while I am a work for the day?

We live on four acres... We do have two neighbors and some traffic coming by the house, though the chickens would have to walk down the rather lengthy driveway to get to the road. I am also a little nervous about them visiting and bothering my neighbors.

2. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I leave mine out but I also have a tall privacy fence around my yard. Without a fence I would not leave mine out of the run. I also have lots of places for them to hide from hawks and such.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Predators will be biggest concern. Range can be influenced by placement of feeding stations and available cover.

4. ekofke201

Dec 27, 2011
    Southern PA
    They will be surrounded by four board horse fencing. But it is not lined with wire. (yet, we are going to do the outer fencing on the property) I thought that might be a bit of a deterrent.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Foxes and hawks will defeat fencing.

6. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

We have 23 acres and my birds free range from early morning till dark. I never see the chickens far from either the coop or the house. They never go down the long drive to the road nor far into the woods. The guineas, that's a different story........

7. ekofke201

Dec 27, 2011
    Southern PA
    So it is reasonable for me to think that they will stay close enough to the coop to keep themselves safe? We have planted some trees so that should help with overhead predators I would like to think...

8. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    Like all others who choose to free range, I think that it is reasonable to assume that at some time you will lose a chicken or several chickens, to predators. You may go a month, several months or a year without a problem; but you will lose some to predators. When you choose to free range (which is a very good choice) you must assume that some will be lost.

9. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Small brush piles will give your chickens places to dart into to hide from hawks, too.

10. MedChicken

MedChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Virginia (Zone 7)
    Mine free range all day in our fenced quarter acre. When a hawk flies over, they run into the bushes or into the coop and the dog runs out to chase the interloper off our properly. There is usually no one home but the dog. As long as they know where home is, they will go back there. As long as there is plenty of food and water available nearby, I doubt they will go far. Make sure there is somewhere to hide as necessary and they should do just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by