Free Range Question

Some chickens forage farther away than others. Most stay close to home in the beginning. Some never go far. I'd worry less about where they'll go and more about what comes to visit.

Every area is different. Do you live in an area with coyotes or where people let their dogs run loose? During the day, I think the most common predators are dogs owned by neighbors, stray dogs, coyotes, foxes and hawks. Of course, you rarely see them on your property if you don't have anything tasty for them to eat. Once you have chickens, eventually they do tend to show up. If you have a dog, that can discourage some of them. For people with untrained dogs that have a strong prey drive, their own dogs are on the predator list.

One way to start free ranging is to have them out when you're there. That's the safest way to do it. If you don't mind the risk or think you have a low risk, then you could just leave the run door open every day. A dog is actually one of the worst predators, because they may kill an entire flock at once. The other predators usually just take one or two.

Quote:
I think my chickens are only attracted to the coop at twilight. During the day, they alternate between scratching the ground in the sun, and resting in the shade under creosote bushes near the feeders and waterers. The hens do return to the nest boxes in the coop to lay their eggs.... or go make a stealth nest somewhere
hmm.png

I have absolutely no regrets about putting up 8' chain link fence, but realize that it's not an option for everybody. This keeps out dogs, foxes, and coyotes (but not bobcats), and discourages hawks from swooping down at high speed as they prefer.

Back
Top Bottom