Free Range Shelter for my flock...they love it.

RHewitt

Songster
13 Years
Jul 3, 2008
Florence. South Carolina
I planned early this year for the hot summers and built a range shelter for my flock. It is a simple shelter with a roof and south wall to block the sun. I put 2 x 6,s around the bottom to hold shavings and sand for dust baths. Added an extra water source so that my flock has plenty of fresh water in the shade. It is also great for them to use as a rain shelter to dodge thunderstorms that pop up if they don't want to go back in the coop. They seem to use it now for light rains as a hang our area.

I wanted to share the idea for others members that may free range.

ShadeandExtraWaterfortheSummerMonth.jpg

Last edited:
I love it - thanks for sharing it - looks like a project a girl can do
big_smile.png
All by myself!

I need to make a shelter/outdoor pen for my girls and this looks awesome!

Great idea - I'd build one here, if I thought they'd use it
lau.gif
they prefer my garage.

Hubby would rather they perched somewhere else - since they tend to like his Kubota tractor and brush hog the best for sitting on - must be they like the color
gig.gif

At least the Geese don't go in there - then I'd really hear complaints
lau.gif

meri

very nice shelter there!
thumbsup.gif
It wouldn't work here for my free range days as the hawks could go right into it. I have two very large and dense Quince bushes that seem to work for shelter from rain and hawks....not to mention our open ended garage so they get under vehicles.
big_smile.png
But inside a run that is perfect!

That is awesome.
I wish I could use stuff like that but like the poster above, the hawks just fly right into it. Mine scramble under thick bushes also or under the shed.
They use the open air coops for hot or rainy days.
Maybe once I get a LGD I will be able to use something like this. It is really neat.
clap.gif

What a great idea, I think i may copy it! my chickens are free range with a covered box to sleep in, but they mostly just hang out around the box. I was thinking about building a big coop but I think I like your idea better. do you provide them with nesting boxes somewhere or do they nest where ever they want? I am still new to owning chickens and I am trying to figure out what would be better, free range or coop.

Back
Top Bottom