Free-range Silkies owner who buys eggs on eBay

:welcome

Silkies are very cold, & heat hardy, & do a good job keeping themselves clean, & dry. I do nothing special for them, just raise like regular chickens. (Silkies are often labeled as fragile, but I find that untrue, only those with vaulted skulls are more susceptible to brain injury/death)

We have two heaters in our coop. You probably just need the one. Google: Cozy Coop. It's one we have. It heats to 45 degrees F and shuts off. That one sits on the ground next to the water dispenser. It's peck proof and they don't bother it. You can get this one several places but Amazon's where we got it.

The backup one we have is a panel heater with a thermostat. That's on the other side and we set it to run until 45 degrees F. I actually have one of these under my desk for my feet. We got them at Lowes. Hubby built a narrow shelf opposite side about 4 feet from the ground to set it on.

Both are self-enclosed, no vents, easy to clean, safe.

I have a Wink camera in there that tells the temperature and sends alarm if it falls below 45. (I'd rather be alarmed if it falls to 40 but that's as low as they go.) If you worry about power failures or something happening, I'm sure there are better thermostat alarms if you have concerns and need something.

1627061822241.png

Welcome to BYC ! That hatch rate is darn good for eggs shipped through USPS . Quite often they can arrive scrambled .
I had purchased them from two different sources on eBay and had no issues. They were packaged individually secure and I think you could throw them against the wall and they wouldn't break. Just make sure they are a reputable seller, as in check the feedback from other egg purchasers.

How do they do in Winter? I went to Ripon College for undergrad, so I know how cold it gets up there. I'd like to get Silkies for my daughter. I think they fit her personality and she'd love them, but I'm afraid they might all die in the Winter. We're West Of St. Louis, Zone 6B, so generally about 10-15 degrees warmer than you. We get the warm air from the Gulf some of the time. But every winter we do get 2, one week periods of bitter cold. They will probably be housed in our barn, with horses, so they heat the air some. We predator proof the stalls, including the top, with 1/2" hardware cloth on the outside. Then we use 1/4" hardware cloth on the inside, on all sides, because I loathe snakes and Missouri is a snake Heaven. It would be really sad to get them and have my daughter get attached and loose them all....
I'm sorry I think I posted this as a new post on this thread instead of a reply to you.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...r-who-buys-eggs-on-ebay.1483688/post-24731633

Welcome to BYC!
I also buy eggs on eBay!
I had 3/6 hatch first time.
Then 3/4 the second time.
Do you use an incubator or a hen? I don't know if hatch rate is better with one or the other but both times we had a hen. I personally prefer that as that way momma raises them and not me. 😊

Back
Top Bottom