Free range? So much poop!

I also have 5 chickens. I have 10x 6 run. I only free range them on weekend or 2 days I am working from home for couple hours. So far, they don't venture off too far from the coop but I only have them like 3 weeks now. so that might change... hopefully not.. I do have a pool and patio area and I do not want them to come there and poop all over...

I also have 5 chickens. I have 10x 6 run. I only free range them on weekend or 2 days I am working from home for couple hours. So far, they don't venture off too far from the coop but I only have them like 3 weeks now. so that might change... hopefully not.. I do have a pool and patio area and I do not want them to come there and poop all over...
I have had my girls since easter started letting them free roam the yard in July and have been amazed that they only left my property 1 time they went to the house behind me which is my only neighbor I picked them up one by one brought them to my property and they haven't left my 3 acres since I have no clue how they know where our property lines are they must be very smart our 1 year old great pyrenees anatolian shepherd is complete opposite if off leash hes everywhere but my property

We had the same issue. We let our birds free range for over a year but the poop and yard demolition became a bit too much. I created a fenced off area connected to their run that they have access to all day. We also now let them out to free range for 1-2 hours before dusk. That cuts down on poop and destruction and they still get out for a bit.

Ours get moved around. They have their coop which has an automatic door on it and then we "fence" off the area we want to let them roam in. The chickens do poop in the area, but as soon as you mow it in go's right back into the grass.

We have lots of hawks in the area, but the crows are pretty possessive off the chickens and chase them off. The chickens are also pretty good at hiding when they see a hawk.

85253992-E489-4FFE-AEF1-502F08C66D03_1_105_c.jpeg

Ours get moved around. They have their coop which has an automatic door on it and then we "fence" off the area we want to let them roam in. The chickens do poop in the area, but as soon as you mow it in go's right back into the grass.

We have lots of hawks in the area, but the crows are pretty possessive off the chickens and chase them off. The chickens are also pretty good at hiding when they see a hawk.

View attachment 3040361
That’s a great setup! Ours is dangerous as we have many aerial predators. So we limit them to a couple hours per day when we can listen from a window or go out with them

Back
Top Bottom