Free range- they had some fun :D

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bigreyhorse, Jul 3, 2008.

1. bigreyhorse

bigreyhorse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The skies we're clear of hawks (or appeared to be)
    so I decided to bring three of my 25- 4wk olds out to weed the garden (I'm not bringing them all out, lol), they stuck by my side the whole time and enjoyed every minute of it.
    It's a pain to put up four cats but I feel so much better knowing that they're safely put up.
    Maybe I'll try more than three next time.

bigrey

2. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I havnt dared let my 4wk olds out yet. The cats wont bother them but they are still scared of me. I would never get 'em back in.

I would like to see pics of them following you around [​IMG] and tips on how you accomplished taming them. I tried with mine and they were just not going to let it happen. They don't like me. [​IMG]

3. punkin

punkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I am so jealous of all of ya'll that can free range your chickens. We have 3 free range dogs and several others in the neighborhood. Not a good idea here.[​IMG]

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I tried taking my chicks out one at a time when I first decided to let them test the backyard. They were so miserable without each other (I had 3... which is now 4) that I decided to take all 3 out at once. They're much happier. I found that if I pick up 2 chicks, the 3rd one will follow me back to the brooder on her own.

My bantam cochin doens't much care if she's by herself or with her flock-mates. Once the coop is done & they're all sleeping together, I think that'll help them bond better.

I did learn - nearly the hard way - not to let them go unsupervised. If I go into the house for short periods, they're likely to hang out on the back porch. But leaving the property nearly proved tragic:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=68293

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by