Free range unattended?

Pics

beebesknees

Chirping
Apr 8, 2021
Hello all. I have 7 week old chickens that I just started letting free range this weekend. They are doing really well so far but I was wondering if you can leave them unattended while free ranging? My husband and I like to take the UTV out on the trails but not sure if it's ok to leave them out while we're gone? Do people who let their chickens free range run errands and just live life as usual with their chickens loose? Thanks!

Do people who let their chickens free range run errands and just live life as usual with their chickens loose? Thanks!
Yes, they do. But these birds are at risk of predation. Even if people stay outside with their flock, the birds are at risk of predation. I've read countless posts where people tell stories about how a hawk swooped down on their bird or a fox darted out of the woods and snatched up a bird "right in front of me!".
Probably one of the best deterrents to predation is a good livestock guardian dog.
Personally, I don't free range any longer. I keep my flock inside about 1/3 acre pen constructed of poultry netting powered with a 10,000 volt charger. This has kept them safe from ground predators. They have a huge old style quince bush they hang out under plus their solid roofed run for protection from aerial attacks but they are still vulnerable to that. I found a frustrated hawk sitting next to the quince bush one day and the entire flock in an uproar when I went outside. The rooster alerted and everyone went for cover. No one was injured.
Whenever you allow your birds out of their predator proof enclosure, they are at risk of being killed or injured.
Whenever you get in your car and drive 65 mph somewhere YOU are at risk of being killed or injured. But I bet you still go out... It's all about mitigating the risk to enjoy life.

Last edited:
Yes, they do. But these birds are at risk of predation. Even if people stay outside with their flock, the birds are at risk of predation. I've read countless posts where people tell stories about how a hawk swooped down on their bird or a fox darted out of the woods and snatch up a bird "right in front of me!".
Probably one of the best deterrents to predation is a good livestock guardian dog.
Personally, I don't free range any longer. I keep my flock inside about 1/3 acre pen constructed of poultry netting powered with a 10,000 volt charger. This has kept them safe from ground predators. They have a huge old style quince bush they hang out under plus their solid roofed run for protection from aerial attacks but they are still vulnerable to that. I found a frustrated hawk sitting next to the quince bush one day and the entire flock in an uproar when I went outside. The rooster alerted and everyone went for cover. No one was injured.
Whenever you allow your birds out of their predator proof enclosure, they are at risk of being killed or injured.
Whenever you get in your car and drive 65 mph somewhere YOU are at risk of being killed or injured. But I bet you still go out... It's all about mitigating the risk to enjoy life.
Thank you! I know this is a risk and it breaks my heart to think that one of my girls may get attacked. I also want them happy though so I am trying to find the best solution all around. We live in a very rural area with lots of predators so I know it's just a matter of time. I am looking into getting a rooster for help and we do have a dog (not a big help as he only wants to play) but I think I will need to look into that fencing you have. Any way to lessen the risk!

That is a choice you must make for your lifestyle. Personally, I wouldn't leave them unattended until they are mixed in with a larger flock. And even then, we get paranoid so we don't free range the larger birds ( ducks and chickens ) when we aren't home. We lock them in their run.

Do you have a run for them? Will you be gone all weekend?

I don't let my chickens free range anymore-too much time and money invested to risk losing any birds! Too many predators and loose neighbors dogs running around as well. Hawks have attacked my hens with me standing 20 ft away!! My guineas stay inside a 50' poultry netting and my hens live in the barn with an electrified run. When I have to leave to do errands or whatever I lock everyone up till I return.

That is a choice you must make for your lifestyle. Personally, I wouldn't leave them unattended until they are mixed in with a larger flock. And even then, we get paranoid so we don't free range the larger birds ( ducks and chickens ) when we aren't home. We lock them in their run.

Do you have a run for them? Will you be gone all weekend?
We have a flock of 19 that are just over 7 weeks. They are Dixie Rainbows so they are very fast growing birds and quite large. We do have a coop with a large fly pen attached. I leave the pen door open so they come and go as they please. If we go riding, we go for a couple hours and then we come back home but we do go a few times a week.

Back
Top Bottom