Free range unattended?

Pics
Over the weekend we were out of town in a park, and a bunch of people were gathered around admiring a redtail hawk in a tree. I looked at it and shook my head and said, It's different if you're a chicken owner!

I let mine free range and I went from 18 chickens to 12 now. So, predation does happen. So, we've started splitting the difference. We keep them penned during the week while we're gone, and let them out on the weekends. I believe that way the predators don't become too accustomed to free chicken dinners, and the flock can still enjoy free ranging some of the time. Of course, they are still susceptible to predation, but it is not as likely.

Hello all. I have 7 week old chickens that I just started letting free range this weekend. They are doing really well so far but I was wondering if you can leave them unattended while free ranging? My husband and I like to take the UTV out on the trails but not sure if it's ok to leave them out while we're gone? Do people who let their chickens free range run errands and just live life as usual with their chickens loose? Thanks!
Hawks, Fox, Coyotes, and Dogs will nab your chickens in a heart beat. Free range can be a free meal. Save yourself the heart ache.

Hello all. I have 7 week old chickens that I just started letting free range this weekend. They are doing really well so far but I was wondering if you can leave them unattended while free ranging? My husband and I like to take the UTV out on the trails but not sure if it's ok to leave them out while we're gone? Do people who let their chickens free range run errands and just live life as usual with their chickens loose? Thanks!
Absolutely NOT! Cats, hawks, etc will eat them so fast. Dogs will kill them. Are the really only one week old???

My chickens free range all day, every day. When I first got chickens 6 years ago, I was so worried about predators that I put my fencing over a foot deep into the ground and placed concrete blocks all around the pen. I wouldn't let them out if I wasn't right there and would fuss over them every day. Then we ended up with a rooster. A very big rooster. Now I let him take care of his flock and I'm free of the stress "my pets" were giving me. Our rooster is a Barred Rock and is not aggressive with us or the kids and even lets our dogs wander around (who are only outside when we are.) If another dog comes on our property, he sounds the alert and all his girls run into their pen and he stands guard. Has actually scared off a dog or two. I figure it this way, chickens have been here for millions of years and managed to survive just fine. We just let our chickens be chickens. They didn't ask to be a pet, so I no longer treat them as such. I still care for them and give treats sometimes but generally, I just let Roger the Rooster take care of them. Bottom line is you are going to lose a chicken now and then to a predator, it's just the circle of life. But do what you can to protect them and let them just be chickens. It will all be ok and you can do what you like, when you like.

My chickens free range all day, every day. When I first got chickens 6 years ago, I was so worried about predators that I put my fencing over a foot deep into the ground and placed concrete blocks all around the pen. I wouldn't let them out if I wasn't right there and would fuss over them every day. Then we ended up with a rooster. A very big rooster. Now I let him take care of his flock and I'm free of the stress "my pets" were giving me. Our rooster is a Barred Rock and is not aggressive with us or the kids and even lets our dogs wander around (who are only outside when we are.) If another dog comes on our property, he sounds the alert and all his girls run into their pen and he stands guard. Has actually scared off a dog or two. I figure it this way, chickens have been here for millions of years and managed to survive just fine. We just let our chickens be chickens. They didn't ask to be a pet, so I no longer treat them as such. I still care for them and give treats sometimes but generally, I just let Roger the Rooster take care of them. Bottom line is you are going to lose a chicken now and then to a predator, it's just the circle of life. But do what you can to protect them and let them just be chickens. It will all be ok and you can do what you like, when you like.

We too live in a rural area. We have a couple acres and I have seen raccoons, foxes, coyotes, fishers, bears, bobcats, hawks, eagles, osprey and so on. We decided that we are likely to lose chickens here and there and have come to accept it. We have anywhere from 12-20 layers and no roosters. We do have a couple hens that seem to watch the skies for any aerial predators. We also have plenty of cover on our property and our our girls don’t spend much time out in the open but rather scratching around in the woods and in and out of the shrubs. We also have a male dog that likes to pee on everything around our coops/house which I think is a deterrent to some of the ground predators, primarily foxes and coyotes. I have picked a couple raccoons off that were on our compost pile during daylight hours as well.
We have an automatic door on the coop that opens at sunrise and closes at dusk whether we are home or not they are free ranging as they please. The chickens get very upset if we have them locked up and we prefer to have them out and about.

We used to free range our chickens, hadn't seen a single predator for two whole years on the property or near by and free ranged many chickens happily all that time. One day when we weren't there a fox came and killed 9 chickens. My mother happened to be there looking at our chickens and garden and such, though not there specifically for that purpose. She tried to chase the fox. It paid no mind to her and killed those poor hens, and our oh so beautiful and sweet Speckled Sussex rooster. It ripped one up, moved to another ripped, and finally after the 9th catch grabbed one of the injured birds and ran off. It would come back after a bit to grab another one it had killed and run again, despite my mother and dogs chasing it (she let the dogs after it, which I totally wish she hadn't but it turned out they got nowhere near it). This was a huge property, it scattered our flocks everywhere. We no longer free range. I don't think it's wrong to free range, but what we do instead is we've made our coops mobile and use electric netting to offer them huge runs. So, we move the coop and fence very often to new ground.

Can you free range your chickens and leave the property, yes. Will your chickens listen to you rounding them up in the middle of the day, hehe probably not! ;) It isn't wrong to free range and not be at home, it's totally up to you, they could get hurt or killed but they could also just be totally fine.

Back
Top Bottom