Free range vs run

I’ve been keeping chicken in Dade City , Florida for two years and 1 month. (We moved to the country that long ago.) so it’s important that we know where you live.
I can tell you what I did to safeguard my diverse flock.
1. I acquired a pair of guinea hens. If you read about them you will learn that among the many other good traits they have they are also great guards of the flock. Yes, they can be loud at times and a bit obnoxious when they peck on my layers, but they are great guardians when there are predators in the area; land or air!
2. The othe bird I acquired when I planed my flock was a Pair of African geese. They are beautiful birds and also guards that warn me of anything approaching my flock, (or arriving at the homestead,) I get these warning cries from the gander, Gladstone and Daisy, his lady. And they let me know something is amiss!
3. The third thing I made sure my flock had was tree cover. So I have the coop, were they lay their eggs and then I have a generous size run for them to run If I have to keep them locked one day or more and then I have a huge area, under oak trees, fenced, so they can relax and rest summer heat or cold winter.
4. The flock is allowed to free range all day. I seldom leave them cooped up. if they want they can free range throughout my 5 acres. And the guinea hens and geese wander around with them. and protects them.
NOTE: I also live in an area around Pasco County, FL, that has other bigger farms surrounding us. The biggest threat I might have is from racoons, chicken hawks, possums or foxes and coyotes. But, I haven’t had any losses among my flock! I have 38 layers and some meat birds and haven’t lost any members of the flock in more than one year.

For those who allow free range on weekends/ or while at home only, have you noticed your chickens being especially grumpy while confined? I've seen other posts on BYC in the past where that seemed to be an issue for some chicken keepers.
My girls have a real big enclosed grassy run but still hate being locked in there for a day if the weather is bad or I am away for the whole day, they have worn a path where they run up and down the side of the wire and make such a racket if they see me🤣

First off I am sorry for your loss, we do like most of the rest are doing. We have a 450 square foot coop/run dog resistant area with a gate to a 3000 square foot dog resistant run none of it is covered. We have had our share of predator attacks and work hard to slow them down. We free range on the weekends and after work. Our secure runs have plenty of space for them to be happy girls and have not see any "grumpy chicken" antics that are not normal pecking order issues. I wish you luck with whatever works for you and your piece of mind.

Needs have a more secure cover, eh?

Doubtful.
..oh maybe this owl needs to be painted black?
full
aart you're so cynical it's funny lol

Hey all,
I just wanted opinions on how you keep your chickens, I free range mine but was wondering what your opinions were on it. I had an accident with a weasle/mink yesterday and I'm weighing my options if I should turn to a run rather than free range. What are your thoughts?
I have mine penned in but with an opening so that they can free range. It’s like a small maze I made with the fence. Instead of connecting it I made a passage go into another passage. It seems to be working for now. I have fox, coyotes and the neighbors dog 🙄 to worry about. I hope this helps you with your situation.

In my humble opinion, I think it all depends on the number of chickens you can afford to keep in your backyard.

If you're on farmland and can raise 30+ chickens without problems, then yeah, you can let your poultry free-range because the loss of a few chickens will not affect your egg consumption. Plus your hens will be super happy and the eggs you get will be extra delicious. Finally, the surviving hens and roosters will be more danger-wary. A few generations of hatched chicks should yield you predator-wary foraging flocks that know the best ways to keep themselves safe from most attacks.

If you've got a tiny flock (15 and less), live in a urban, semi-urban or rural-but-not-agricultural place where your municipality demands you restrain yourself to a certain number of chickens, then it might be better not to let them free-range. Every chicken counts to feed you; the loss of a hen could dent your egg consumption in the long run, especially if you're got a big family to feed with those eggs. I will not mention the flood of tears shed by the children if that same lost hen was also their favorite pet. However, nothing prevents you from letting your ladies out of their pen under supervision. Just make sure they don't go into the neighbor's backyard, and you'll be fine.

I have a small flock. I can't afford to lose any of my hens, because they're my back-up food source in a crisis and I'm restrained in the number of chickens I can keep. In order to keep my ladies within sight while they free-ranged, I went and taught my birds to hang around me at all times. I dropped treats at my feet every time I changed locations, and imitated a rooster's clucking to tell my hens I'd found them a snack. They caught on very quickly to what I was doing. Now, they stick around me in a 5 meter radius like they would around a watching rooster, on top of following me whenever I change locations. In return for their compliance and trust, I make sure they are not disappointed. The result is fresh tasty eggs, happy hens, no annoyed neighbor and lots of chicken bonding time. I also haven't lost a single hen to predators, despite hawks inhabiting the forest around my house. Win-win all around for us here!

My 23 are in a run. They have a coop the size of a shed (20ftx10ft) and their run is made from two 10ftx20ft chain link dog cages turned inside out (pressing on the chain link from the outside makes no gap that way) wrapped in chicken wire with a hardware cloth/tarp wrapped wooden roof. So, all together, they have a 50ftx10ft run and a 20ftx10ft coop. I think that’s plenty for them.
What’s crazy is that every time I see them in there, it still doesn’t look like 23 chickens. It looks like 10, max, just because of how much run they have.

Hey all,
I just wanted opinions on how you keep your chickens, I free range mine but was wondering what your opinions were on it. I had an accident with a weasle/mink yesterday and I'm weighing my options if I should turn to a run rather than free range. What are your thoughts?
We free range ours. We have 30 + and they don't like when we have to keep ten confined to the run. They are happiest being out roaming. It also makes it less stressful when we have a larger area to start our integration possess when introducing new birds. Even if their is a higher risk of predation. But we only free range for part of the day.

Hey all,

We are first year chicken and runner duck care givers . After reading as much as I could on the subject last winter we embarked on this adventure . Here is what we have done . Fenced off our veg garden area (aprox. 100' x 150' ) . This is there free range area with vulnerable plant areas fenced off when needed . The area has different garden section with lawn between . Ducks and Chickens have there own coops and runs that open up to the free range area . A large pond is in the works for the ducks and watering the garden . The runs are old portable garage frames with fence attached to the them to keep preds. out and them in when needed . Both coops are well vented and securely locked at night as well as the runs are locked . Runs are being rapped in vapour barrier for the winter (zone 5a ) and have a heavy duty tarp year round roof for sun and weather protection . The property was a horse farm before we bought it 8 1/2 years ago so comes complete with hydro in that area which allows us to power up lighting and heated waters in both runs. Food and water are in the runs . Food hangs just low enough they can still reach it and waters sit on foam fill pedestal . They all are free ranged as much as possible during the day but go back to there runs late afternoon and locked down in there coops at night . Everything has gone through some sort of reworking and continue to as we have worked through the learning curve .
Dave

We've had chickens for about 5 years now and have always let them free range. We live on 2.5 acres with fields on three sides and several houses across the road (two of which also have chickens). We have only lost two or three to predation out of 20 chickens, so I think we're doing pretty good. One down side to free range is how much they tear up my flower beds. But I feel bad when I have to pen them up, which isn't very often. They are good at staying in the yard, occasionally wander into the fields, but only a couple feet in.

Back
Top Bottom