Free range

Doc1960

Chirping
Mar 12, 2022
I have nine chicks that are six weeks old. I have moved them to the main pin And after all the big hens are out free ranging I close up the gate and I’ll let them out of the broody pen inside the fenced in area with mom. I want to slowly let them come out and free range with mom For short periods at a time. At least till They get use to it. At what age will they be OK to free range without me having to sit out and watch them during their free range time. Like I said they are with mom and they’re staying close but I stay outside with them because I don’t know what is a good age to where I don’t have to worry anymore.

I let my chicks go out with mom whenever she is ready to take them. They've been out at anywhere from a few days old to 2 weeks old. I'm surprised their mom is still taking care of them at 6 weeks old and hasn't kicked them to the curb by now.

I let my chicks go out with mom whenever she is ready to take them. They've been out at anywhere from a few days old to 2 weeks old. I'm surprised their mom is still taking care of them at 6 weeks old and hasn't kicked them to the curb by now

I let my chicks go out with mom whenever she is ready to take them. They've been out at anywhere from a few days old to 2 weeks old. I'm surprised their mom is still taking care of them at 6 weeks old and hasn't kicked them to the curb by now.
I actually have two hens with chicks but they are only a day apart. I let them out today for a good while. The one with two when it came to bed time went and got on the roost with the other big girls and took her two chicks with her. The one with 7 went back to the broody cage and took all het chicks with her. She will still fight and run any other chicken away tgat gets near the chicks. Actually checking they are all 5 weeks old not 6. Anyway thanks for your imput and help.

Back
Top Bottom