Free rangeing in winter?!

My girls hate getting their feet wet so if there is any snow on the ground at all they won't come out to free-range. I keep their run space covered in the winter so they can stay dry in there, but I like to give them the option of roaming should they desire.

The only thing I have been worried about in winter is the lack of foliage and underbrush that protects my girls from aerial predators. My only serious hawk attack happened early spring before the trees and bushes leafed out. This year I am leaving little huts around for the girls to nip into if something takes an unsavory interest in them.

Mine have to free range as we have no pen for them just the coop. I will be updating my chickens blog today about there snow adventures 2 days ago. Mine are randing and eating fine no matter what the weather so far.

Quote:
Yesterday morning, after about 7 inches of snow, I found one of my Polish outside, roosting on the garden fence. I felt so bad for her! That's what happens when I don't do a head count at night. So far, she seems okay.

Today it is 10 degrees with wind gusts up to 46 mph making the wind chill -7.

I opened up the pop door and they all went back in the coop and were huddled together so I closed the pop door so it would be warmer.

I am going to have to wait until the wind lessens.

Poor girls

Back
Top Bottom