1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

free rangeing

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Wally, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Wally

Wally Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    Texas Hill Country
    I have a flock of about 30 birds I bought from MM about 14 weeks ago. They are currently in a chicken yard about 50ft X 50ft that includes a coop. In the past I have waited untill my chickens have started laying before I let them freerange. However, I'm thinking of cutting a door in the chicken yard so they can get out if they want and make use of all the green grass and bugs that are available. what do you think about letting them out this early?

2. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    I've got 36 from MM and they are now 13.5 weeks old. I have had them free-ranging in my yard for the past 4 weeks. No problems...

3. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    I say go for it! [​IMG] You'll make them some happy little chickies!

4. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

go go chickies go!

OH..you might want to begin doing it a couple hours before sunset the first few times...make sure they don't get too far from the coop and "get lost"....shouldn't be a problem though.

Sandra

5. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Now you all have made me want to turn mine loose tonight. I am scared to do it but let's see if I chicken out.... pun intended... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by