free ranging a 2year old peacock

Istvan Elekes

Hatching
Oct 11, 2019
So i recently got a new peacock for my peahen after my first peacock died, he is 2 years old and my peahen is 1 years old and i got her as a peachick together with my first peacock. So my question is would i be able to free range them together next year without having the peacock fly away because i don't know if he's gonna get used to my backyard because i didn't get him as a peachick. I have read some other posts that it's best to free range yearling peacocks and that some older peacocks may just wander off to try and get back home. The guy that i got my peacock from said he would let him out during the day and at night he would just get back in his coop so i'm not sure what go do, or should i clip his flight feathers next year ? We don't have any predators around but i did read that it can cause them trauma so please someone help me.

So i recently got a new peacock for my peahen after my first peacock died, he is 2 years old and my peahen is 1 years old and i got her as a peachick together with my first peacock. So my question is would i be able to free range them together next year without having the peacock fly away because i don't know if he's gonna get used to my backyard because i didn't get him as a peachick. I have read some other posts that it's best to free range yearling peacocks and that some older peacocks may just wander off to try and get back home. The guy that i got my peacock from said he would let him out during the day and at night he would just get back in his coop so i'm not sure what go do, or should i clip his flight feathers next year ? We don't have any predators around but i did read that it can cause them trauma so please someone help me.
The peacocks I’ve cared for fly high high up in the trees to roost at night. They are autonomous. I just threw food out once a day.

How far do your peacocks roam? I let mine go free range for the first time (about a year old) and my peacock and one of my hens flew far. I was able to catch up and bring them back home but have been afraid to let them back out again. I love them dearly and want them to have free roam but don't want them to fly away. How did you let yours free range? How far do yours go?

How far do your peacocks roam? I let mine go free range for the first time (about a year old) and my peacock and one of my hens flew far. I was able to catch up and bring them back home but have been afraid to let them back out again. I love them dearly and want them to have free roam but don't want them to fly away. How did you let yours free range? How far do yours go?
Don't let them all out at once, they are a flock animal and like the company of others and will stay close to the pen.

Back
Top Bottom